Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterfa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2014
Slowpoke here, but I'm now trying to update my MacBook Pro 3.1 from OS 10.5.8 to 10.6.
This apparently has to be done with an install DVD.
My built-in disk drive hasn't worked for years, so I've been using the external disk drive "liteon etau108", and while it reads CD's without any problems, it doesn't seem to be able to read the install DVD or any other DVD's.

Does anyone have some suggestions?

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Slowpoke here, but I'm now trying to update my MacBook Pro 3.1 from OS 10.5.8 to 10.6.
This apparently has to be done with an install DVD.
My built-in disk drive hasn't worked for years, so I've been using the external disk drive "liteon etau108", and while it reads CD's without any problems, it doesn't seem to be able to read the install DVD or any other DVD's.

Does anyone have some suggestions?

Buy an external drive that will read DVDs, there isn't much else to be done. Your external drive should already be able to do so according to the specs I just googled, something must be wrong with it.

peterfa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2014
Buy an external drive that will read DVDs, there isn't much else to be done. Your external drive should already be able to do so according to the specs I just googled, something must be wrong with it.

Thank you for your quick response! I will go looking for another disk drive then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.