Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigo013

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2018
Has any bumped into the situation - whereby the fonts are fuzzy with a glow on their 4K monitor - as the monitor is on native display?

This has been annoying me with the macbook pro 15" 2018 - as I didn't have this issue with the 2015 13" machine. I've noticed that there's a setting of resolution switcher utility that came with parallels, - that allows me to use the same resolution as the screen native - but with retina (hidpi) enabled. This resolved the problem of the fuzzy - glow in the fonts, - but then the bit-color depth dropped.

The monitor is connected via a USB - C cable.
Resolution is 3840 x 1600 - 30 bit color = fonts that glow and difficult to read text on the screen.
Resolution is 3840 x 1600 - 24 bit color = fonts are great - everything is legible with no more glow.

Any idea what's going? - Am thankful it's working and managed to get legible fonts now.

tigo013

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2018
Many thanks Mike, - - followed the trail and instructions by Marcus - and now the screen fonts - everything looks normal again without needing to switch the resolution to retina....- cheers mate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.