Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
My friend has a MBP 8,2. It's been switching off (completely dead) all by itself, and even starts up on its own at times - ghost in the machine? Battery is charged and/or AC connected at the time.

Recently I have installed a Samsung 860 500Gb SSD, and 2 x 4GB ram, and the laptop started behaving itself a little better. But now when it starts up it doesn't even display the Apple logo - it sits on a bright grey background for a minute or two and then powers off. When booting into recovery HD, it shows the Apple logo, but stalls on a blank bright grey screen and then powers off.

Diagnostic checks (Opt+D on startup) show no hardware issues on short and the exhaustive tests. Cmd+S fsck -fy shows no problems.

My mate heard something rattling inside the case - here's some photos. It's extremely small - maybe 2mm wide by 4mm long. We can't find where this part might be from when looking at logic board on the bottom of the laptop (the side when you take the cover off). We haven't investigated the other side of the logic board under the keyboard. Any idea what the problem might be? The small thing has a slight nipple on the top end, and has a red like colour on the bottom.

IMG_8767.jpg IMG_8764.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.