Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wout3r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
Hi all,

Recently, I accidentally spilled some water on my macbook keyboard. (MacbookPro 13", late 2011)
I left the device to dry for about 24 hours (of which the first ~10 hour upside-down) and afterwards tried using it again.

First, all seemed to be working fine. Afterwards, each key stroke showed strange characters, as if the alt/option key was constantly pressed. Upon rebooting, my mac first prompted me with the boot device choice screen (as if the alt/option key was pressed, even though, physically, it was not), but in macOS the keys were working fine again, except the left alt/option key, which appeared to be somehow automatically disabled. Pressing it, e.g. in combination with other keys, has no effect. The right option/alt key was still working fine.

After some time, my top keyboard row (azerty/qwerty...) also stopped working so I decided to put the macbook upside down again to leave it dry for another >24h.

Now, the entire keyboard is working fine again, except the alt/option key issue appears to remain. When booting (without physically pressing a key), the boot device choice screen is shown, and in macOS, the left option/alt key is no longer functioning. It appears to be automatically disabled somehow?

I tried cleaning the key by removing it but that didn't help... Underneath the key everything appeared to be dry, except *maybe* in the plastic thing under the key, some fluid might be left; can't tell for sure.

On the internet, I can't find anything about the auto-key-disable feature nor any information about how to re-enable the key...

Does anyone here have some thoughts/ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Wouter

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Most likely some of the electrical connections on your keyboard have been short-circuited, so that the keyboard “thinks” that some keys are pressed (or not). I don’t think that there is a solution to this besides replacing the affected circuitry. Which in your case means either a new keyboard or maybe also a new logic board, depending to where the damage is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.