Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spo0594

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2020
I posses my MacBook Pro since more then 3 years and never had big problems with it. Recently it started to heat up a bit more then usual(even if the fan ain't making much more noises) and the battery dies a lot faster. I tried to reset the battery and checked if there is any activity that is using a good amount of battery but nothing came out. I am really tempted to open the bottom case to check if there is a lot of dust that is causing the issue but I would like to know if there is anything else that I could do before.

Thanks

inc0gnito

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
Big Sur 11.0.1 update has been known to cause battery drain issues - what system are you running?

spo0594

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2020
Big Sur 11.0.1 update has been known to cause battery drain issues - what system are you running?
I am using high Sierra(10.13.6). But the problem started after I used the laptop to listen to some music while I was doing some wood carving(even though I kept the device at a good distance) so I am wondering if it's possible that some dust happened to get sucked in.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
I would look at Activity Monitor to check to see what is eating battery power as well as CPU activity. If your usage has not changed and you do not see any rogue processes hogging CPU that you cannot identify, I think dust/debris buildup is indeed a culprit to investigate. A relatively small amount of dust buildup on a fan can have pretty surprising impacts on its efficiency.

spo0594

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2020
I would look at Activity Monitor to check to see what is eating battery power as well as CPU activity. If your usage has not changed and you do not see any rogue processes hogging CPU that you cannot identify, I think dust/debris buildup is indeed a culprit to investigate. A relatively small amount of dust buildup on a fan can have pretty surprising impacts on its efficiency.
here's a screenshot of the energy consumption and of the CPU activity.

Attachments

• CPU.png
    CPU.png
    290.9 KB · Views: 131
  • energy.png
    energy.png
    230.5 KB · Views: 116

spo0594

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2020
problem solved. I noticed just now that there was a process that was using 120% of the CPU(corebrightnessd) and after some research I found out that it is related to the nightshift mode. After disabling it the temperature dropped at once and the energy consumption is apparently back to normal. Thanks for your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.