Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has any one had a MacBook battery drainage problem, when the laptop is not in use?

• Yes

• No

• I do not own a MacBook

Results are only viewable after voting.

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
My MacBook is a MacBook Pro 2015 Retina (13" Base Model- only thing upgraded is storage which is 256gb of flash).
So I usually charge my MacBook to 100% before I sleep. For the last week, my MacBook battery drains over night when not in use. For example it usually drains about 20-30% of charge in like 12 hours of non-use. Has anyone had this issue? How can I fix it? HELP

maxgts

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Sunnyvale, CA
My MacBook is a MacBook Pro 2015 Retina (13" Base Model- only thing upgraded is storage which is 256gb of flash).
So I usually charge my MacBook to 100% before I sleep. For the last week, my MacBook battery drains over night when not in use. For example it usually drains about 20-30% of charge in like 12 hours of non-use. Has anyone had this issue? How can I fix it? HELP

Which brand and model SSD did you upgrade to?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016

I have the same MacBook Pro. It found when I installed High Sierra my over night drain went from perhaps 4% to 10%. Which was pretty alarming.

Then Mojave said “hold my beer...” and now it’s 30% or so. I now just shutdown overnight and don’t use sleep. It’s totally useless.

Hopefully it’ll be fixed in 10.14.not-a-huge-number.

You can adjust some settings. Ultimately though if you follow all the threads (you will find many) you can end up turning off Find My Mac and force Hibernate mode. I like that feature (Find My Mac) so I’m just going to shutdown until they figure out how to make it work again.

I’ve turned on DND overnight, turned off BT Wake. And the standard stuff, turn off power nap etc. I think it’s avtually a little better, not enough.

Finally I did consider opening a ticket with Apple. But you then have to mess around and capture and send logs etc. And to be honest I just haven’t had the time to go to this lengths yet.

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
Which brand and model SSD did you upgrade to?
Nah when i meant i upgraded SSD, I just went for 256GB or 128gb flash, like from Apple. I did not do any 3rd party modifications to it.
[doublepost=1541980370][/doublepost]
I have the same MacBook Pro. It found when I installed High Sierra my over night drain went from perhaps 4% to 10%. Which was pretty alarming.

Then Mojave said “hold my beer...” and now it’s 30% or so. I now just shutdown overnight and don’t use sleep. It’s totally useless.

Hopefully it’ll be fixed in 10.14.not-a-huge-number.

You can adjust some settings. Ultimately though if you follow all the threads (you will find many) you can end up turning off Find My Mac and force Hibernate mode. I like that feature (Find My Mac) so I’m just going to shutdown until they figure out how to make it work again.

I’ve turned on DND overnight, turned off BT Wake. And the standard stuff, turn off power nap etc. I think it’s avtually a little better, not enough.

Finally I did consider opening a ticket with Apple. But you then have to mess around and capture and send logs etc. And to be honest I just haven’t had the time to go to this lengths yet.
Honestly, I am probably just gonna shut down as well, because no point in having good software and not using the functions of it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.