Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sayo1337

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019
Hi All,

I have a Mid-2012 MacBook Pro running on MacOS Mojave. It works perfectly fine but intermittently it beeps whilst it's turned on (not beeping on boot or stopping it from booting). The number of beeps can vary from 1 to 3 to even 11. For example, I was just streaming a video and it randomly started beeping. The performance didn't drop or anything and I could still use it as normal, it just beeped for a number of times and stopped.

Has anyone else come across anything like this before? If so, how did you solve it?

Many Thanks.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Is it a retina or NON-retina model?

Be aware that non-retina 2012 MBPs can have the internal drive ribbon cable go bad. When this happens, "good communication" between the drive and motherboard gets interrupted.

I wonder if this could be the problem?
It's easy to change the cable for a new one, go to ifixit.com to see what's involved.
You would need a Phillips #00 driver.
It would take only about 15 minutes (mostly removing screws from back panel, and then putting them back in).

That may or MAY NOT be the problem.
But it's something to consider.

Another thing (again, for the NON-retina model):
Could it be a loose connection between RAM DIMMs and their sockets?

Sayo1337

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019

Be aware that non-retina 2012 MBPs can have the internal drive ribbon cable go bad. When this happens, "good communication" between the drive and motherboard gets interrupted.

It's easy to change the cable for a new one, go to ifixit.com to see what's involved.
It would take only about 15 minutes (mostly removing screws from back panel, and then putting them back in).

I believe it’s a non-retina version. Is there an easy way to find out?

I suspect the hard drive. I will definitely give it a go to find out.

Many thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I believe it’s a non-retina version. Is there an easy way to find out?"

Does it have a DVD drive on the right side?
If it does, it's the non-retina model.

Sayo1337

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019
"I believe it’s a non-retina version. Is there an easy way to find out?"

Does it have a DVD drive on the right side?
If it does, it's the non-retina model.

Yep. It’s got a dvd drive. Non retina version. I’ll have a look at the fix when I get home :)
[doublepost=1548002767][/doublepost]

Just to make sure I’m looking at the right fix. Is this the one you were referring to? https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Hard+Drive+Cable+Replacement/10379

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.