Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loki san hitleson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2018
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
The keyboard and trackpad of my MacBook Pro 2015 suddenly stopped working. I searched the Internet and did a SMC and PRAM (NVRAM) reset with an external keyboard.

The PRAM reset (I reset the PRAM with command+option+P+R as explained here) helped solve the issue: I could use the keyboard and tracked again, so I think it is not a hardware issue, but after a restart it stopped working again.

I tried Apple Diagnostics (as explained here) and it returns, No issues found. Reference Code: ADP000. So I confirmed it is not hardware issue.

I also tried reinstalling macOS, but it didn't help, the problem persists.
This reinstallation kept all my previous data and settings

Do I need to reset the PRAM every time I start my Mac? What is the problem with my MacBook? How do I permanently reset the PRAM? And what about Wipe all data and reinstall macOS, will it solve this problem?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If the keyboard is continually failing, then I'd suggest you have a hardware failure. Contact Apple and have them diagnose the computer. Their tools are more comprehensive then what AHT can provide.

Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.