Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tawnyowl63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2016
I have a Macbook Pro Retina (had it for about 2 years). The charger has been playing up for a while and now it's not charging at all. I have tried EVERY 'fix' mentioned in Google so I started to resign myself to getting a new, extortionately priced charger.
But then I saw all the 1 star reviews for these chargers and started to wonder if it was time for a return to W****ws.
Any thoughts, anyone?

RHD 42

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2016
It's just a charger, buy a new one and look after it.
If you routinely mangle the string by shoving it in a bag without coiling it up neatly they do go.
Mine (7 years old) is always fine because I protect it when travelling. A friend gets through two a year because he shoves them in his backpack any old how mixed in with load of junk and chucks the bag around.

Tawnyowl63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2016
Thanks for the advice, gents. Yes, I have tried the Apple advice.
I treat my charger carefully and it is not damaged.
The battery condition is "normal".
The green/orange light does not come on when I plug it in, the machine WILL NOT CHARGE. I have tried every suggestion so far and I am reluctant to buy a 65GBP charger to see if it works.
It is very hard for me to get to the nearest Apple Store.
[doublepost=1474658925][/doublepost]I may have found the reason: there are small teeth marks on the cable which I hadn't noticed before. I have two cats, so the finger points firmly at them.
When I put my fingers over the marks, the charging light comes on!

Reactions: 997440

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
Unfortunately, I replaced three MagSafe (old and new versions) in a couple of years. For some reason, they just start to fail after their warranty period is over, and yes, they are quite costly to replace. I truly hope my new MBP's charger lasts for a while.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I wish Apple would relax the patent on them and open the chargers up to third party manufacturers so we would have the choice of buying from reputable companies.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I have a Macbook Pro Retina (had it for about 2 years). The charger has been playing up for a while and now it's not charging at all. I have tried EVERY 'fix' mentioned in Google so I started to resign myself to getting a new, extortionately priced charger.
But then I saw all the 1 star reviews for these chargers and started to wonder if it was time for a return to W****ws.
Any thoughts, anyone?
Changing OS'es and computer for a charger? Really? Don't you think that's a little over-reacting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.