Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lou-X

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Hey guys, thinking to buy a second hand MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.5 13" Mid-2012 with 22 cycles on original battery for around 750 euros. Do you have any feedback on that model?

1) It seems to be the last generation of mb where I can upgrade RAM and put a fast SSD (thinkg that I would do as soon as I get it-->16GB + dual SSD). Also probably it would be still doable the CPU repasting process (and cleaning the fans). Has anybody done this last process? I think this is important since it made my 2007 white mb last almost 10 years.

2) price looks goot to me and with good maintenance and component upgrade I thin it could do good, also if its only a dual core. Any feedback on the cpu? its the 3210M.

http://ark.intel.com/it/products/67355/Intel-Core-i5-3210M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz-rPGA

I would buy it for photoshop, indesign, webdev and hardcore multitasking but nothing graphic demanding so the integrated chip doesnt bother me, on the go and at home ( attached to external displays).

how many external monitor (1080) can it handle? Im using my current old mb with 1, could it handle 2 or 3?
Intel site says the cpu can handle up to 3, but I'm not sure about the ports.

Thank you in advance for suggestions

cheers

knudsen2

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2015
I don't know where you are, but sounds like a bad deal to me - too expensive. In Denmark, which I believe is not a particularly cheap apple country, I have seen several at 3/5 of that price. I would'nt put much value to the battery not having been used. I'd consider a 15 retina with quad core from 12 or 13 instead, much much nicer display and also faster. It would maybe cost a little bit more, but 8GB/256GB goes a long way (for me at least). I have both a 15 and 13 and would'nt want to develop on the small one. Just my opinion

Btw: bought my 13 retina from 2013 for around 550 euros this summer. I'd say if you want that particular non-retina model, get it cheaper

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou-X

Lou-X

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
I don't know where you are, but sounds like a bad deal to me - too expensive. In Denmark, which I believe is not a particularly cheap apple country, I have seen several at 3/5 of that price. I would'nt put much value to the battery not having been used. I'd consider a 15 retina with quad core from 12 or 13 instead, much much nicer display. It would maybe cost a little bit more, but 8GB/256GB goes a long way (for me at least). I have both a 15 and 13 and would'nt want to develop on the small one. Just my opinion

Appreciate your feedback. I forgot to say it has been bought in early 2014.
I've used only 13' and I think a 15 it's too much big. Also more expensive.
I'm giving lot of importance to the upgradability. Thing missing in more recent devices. I'm thinking about upgrading it to 16/512 at least.

Edit : I'm in Italy

knudsen2

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2015
Personally I think people put too much weight on upgradability. You can max put 16GB in it, so there is no benefit compared to getting a 13 or 15 retina with 16GB. And you can also upgrade the ssd in the retinas (although it is expensive). Personally I could never go back to non-retina after having used it. When I've used the 13 for some time the 15 seems enormous, but you'll quickly get used to it, and its the 13 that is tiny:) If you have some local italian site for buying used stuff you can probably find a better deal than for example ebay (I check the local sites several times a day when I'm looking for something). But again, its just IMHO, maybe it'll suit you

Reactions: Lou-X
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.