Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DZetko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2015
Hi,

I am deciding between a MacBook Pro 15" 2017 base model (256 GB SSD, 2 GB GPU) and the higher end model with i7 (512 GB, 4 GB GPU). My question is: Will the extra 2 GB GPU make any difference when working with Interface Builder, Xcode or possibly Visual Studio for Mac?

Also, as a side question, which technical specifications will in general make the biggest difference with this kind of development? CPU, GPU or drive?

Thank you all

Last edited:

DZetko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2015
I'd say no. I don't think either application is going to push the GPU very much
Would this still be true (would it handle this workload?) even if the MacBook was connected to an external 4K monitor (either as a second monitor or main monitor with Mac's lid closed)?

Last edited:

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
do what you want but the good advice says stay away from the latest MBP. Buy a refurbished early 2016 MBP before the design change if you must.

The current hardware has lots of issues and just not worth the money.

Reactions: DZetko

DZetko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2015
do what you want but the good advice says stay away from the latest MBP. Buy a refurbished early 2016 MBP before the design change if you must.

I actually plan to get a refurb'd 2017.

But since you brought up the topic of issues. What issues are you talking about specifically?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

Of course you are welcome to your own opinion. But I couldn't disagree more. My late 2016 MBP is the nicest and most powerful Mac I have ever owned.
[doublepost=1519317866][/doublepost]
What issues are you talking about specifically?
Anecdotal issues...ports, keyboard, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: DZetko and jeyf

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
yes get a late 2015 or very early 2016 MBP
the incremental change in processing power will not effect your day to day experience.

best of luck

Reactions: DZetko

DZetko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2015
Of course you are welcome to your own opinion. But I couldn't agree more. My late 2016 MBP is the nicest and most powerful Mac I have ever owned.
[doublepost=1519317866][/doublepost]
Anecdotal issues...ports, keyboard, etc.
I looked at the 2016 model but went back to 2017, for two reasons: I reckon the IDEs will run faster with better CPUs, which the 2017 model has. And the second reason is power consumption, since I heard that the newer model's CPU is more power efficient.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
I'd say SSD is a must. Outside of that I've seen guys use Xcode with 11' MBAs (MacBook Airs). You get a MacBook Pro, you're more than fine.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I looked at the 2016 model but went back to 2017, for two reasons: I reckon the IDEs will run faster with better CPUs, which the 2017 model has. And the second reason is power consumption, since I heard that the newer model's CPU is more power efficient.

I use the 2017 15” for dev work (visual studio, vs code, brackets, aamps, illustrator, photoshop) and it has been great. So much so that I actually picked up a refurbished 2.9/16/512/560 4gb to replace my base model. I have yet to have any issues with the 2017 machines.

Anyone that tells you to “avoid the 2017 and buy a 2015.” Do yourself a favor and ask them it they own a 2017 or have spent more than 30 minutes inside of a store using one. There are a lot of haters and bandwagon jumpers on here.

DZetko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2015
I use the 2017 15” for dev work (visual studio, vs code, brackets, aamps, illustrator, photoshop) and it has been great. So much so that I actually picked up a refurbished 2.9/16/512/560 4gb to replace my base model. I have yet to have any issues with the 2017 machines.

Anyone that tells you to “avoid the 2017 and buy a 2015.” Do yourself a favor and ask them it they own a 2017 or have spent more than 30 minutes inside of a store using one. There are a lot of haters and bandwagon jumpers on here.

Would you be so kind and share why you upgraded from the base model? Were the specs insufficient? If so, which of the components didn't keep up?

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Would you be so kind and share why you upgraded from the base model? Were the specs insufficient? If so, which of the components didn't keep up?

I only upgraded Because I had the opportunity to do so. I had picked up a 13” MacBook Pro from the the refurbished store just to have something a little more portable. Unfortunately there are some graphics problems with the 13” Pro (a few models actually) in Illustrator / High Sierra, so Apple allowed me to return it after 14 days.

Since I had to spend the money on a new 15” anyway I decided to upgrade the specs, and gifted my old one to a friend. The base model were perfectly sufficient for what I needed. This was all about “I’m already spending money, why not”.

DZetko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2015
I only upgraded Because I had the opportunity to do so. I had picked up a 13” MacBook Pro from the the refurbished store just to have something a little more portable. Unfortunately there are some graphics problems with the 13” Pro (a few models actually) in Illustrator / High Sierra, so Apple allowed me to return it after 14 days.

Since I had to spend the money on a new 15” anyway I decided to upgrade the specs, and gifted my old one to a friend. The base model were perfectly sufficient for what I needed. This was all about “I’m already spending money, why not”.
Ok, thanks for the information then. :)

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
reliability.
buy with caution you dont wind up with a MBP you cant type on, loose fitting usb-c, other homey issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.