Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
A few days ago I left my MacBook Pro at about 40% battery for a day or two (off, not sleeping). Then when I tried to boot it, it died after a few seconds. I tried a few times but it got worse and worse until it died instantly after pressing the button.

This seemed very much that the battery was bad. So I charged it up and then tried again. It lasted a bit longer but then died. Even when it was plugged into the magsafe power source!

I launched the MBP on battery, and it died, but this 'drained' the battery a little and it started charging again. I repeated this a few times until it wouldn't charge anymore.

Once or twice I got far enough to log in and do some stuff. Only lasted a few minutes though.

I launched into the boot selector and it did not die. I also ran the Apple Hardware Test and it did not die there either. I did the basic test and it found no problems.

This made me think that the OS is to blame, but I tried to load into the OS X install disk. It died there too, while loading. It lasted longer though.

So what could it be?! Battery dead? But shouldn't it run off the power source when it is plugged in, not the battery?

Last edited:

Xeridionix

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2015
Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM to see if the issue persists so we can eliminate this as a possible cause of the problem.

To reset the SMC:

1. Turn the computer off and ensure that it is plugged in.
2. Hold down Shift-Control-Option and Power at the same time for at least 5 seconds.
3. Release the keys. You may see the charging light on the MagSafe adapter change colour momentarily.

To reset NVRAM:
1. Turn the computer off.
2. Press the power button to turn the computer on and immediately hold Command-Option-P-R at the same time.
3. Continue holding the keys until the computer restarts a second time.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM to see if the issue persists so we can eliminate this as a possible cause of the problem.

To reset the SMC:

1. Turn the computer off and ensure that it is plugged in.
2. Hold down Shift-Control-Option and Power at the same time for at least 5 seconds.
3. Release the keys. You may see the charging light on the MagSafe adapter change colour momentarily.

To reset NVRAM:
1. Turn the computer off.
2. Press the power button to turn the computer on and immediately hold Command-Option-P-R at the same time.
3. Continue holding the keys until the computer restarts a second time.

Been there done that
But I'll try it again.

You say hold Shift-Control-Option for at least 5 seconds?
Apple didnt say anything about that... (about the 5 seconds)
Well anyway I just tried the SMC reset, don't know if it went throguh or not, but still have the problem.

Just did the PRAM reset also.

No difference.

Last edited:

Xeridionix

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2015
Yeah, Shift-Control-Option and Power at the same time.

What happens if you boot the machine into the Recovery HD by holding down Command-R before the Apple logo comes up on the screen? Is it able to remain running when booted there?

If the issue still occurs there then it's possible that your battery may be faulty, you could always take the computer to an Apple store or Authorized Service Provider in your area and they should be able to determine what's going on.

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
MBP should work with Magsafe perfectly no matter what is a state of battery. Even if your battery is dead or you removed it from MBP, Magsafe would be enough to power you MBP (but in this case MBP would shutdown instantly
if you remove Magsafe power adapter)

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Yeah, Shift-Control-Option and Power at the same time.

What happens if you boot the machine into the Recovery HD by holding down Command-R before the Apple logo comes up on the screen? Is it able to remain running when booted there?

If the issue still occurs there then it's possible that your battery may be faulty, you could always take the computer to an Apple store or Authorized Service Provider in your area and they should be able to determine what's going on.

I tried Command-R. All I saw was a loading screen so I don't know if it was the recovery OS or not. It died anyway.
Also, no recovery partition appears in the boot selector.

----------

MBP should work with Magsafe perfectly no matter what is a state of battery. Even if your battery is dead or you removed it from MBP, Magsafe would be enough to power you MBP (but in this case MBP would shutdown instantly
if you remove Magsafe power adapter)

So then it is definetely NOT the battery?! :eek:
I'll remove the battery and try it without it.

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
Note: to remove a battery from chassic, you would need triangle screwdriver which is quite rare.
So you could just disconnect a battery from motherboard, without removing it completely

Also, try to boot with holding the Option key, it will allow you to select recovery partition or main partition for booting

P.S. You haven't mentioned a model of MBP, and it could matter

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Note: to remove a battery from chassic, you would need triangle screwdriver which is quite rare.
So you could just disconnect a battery from motherboard, without removing it completely

Also, try to boot with holding the Option key, it will allow you to select recovery partition or main partition for booting

P.S. You haven't mentioned a model of MBP, and it could matter

I already took it out.......
Battery plastic is rather brittle and some screw holes broke.

And I already booted with Option key. No recovery partiton exists, only the volume with the OS on it.

So I tested it without the battery...
AND IT DIED TOO!!!
IT IS NOT THE BATTERY :eek:
IT IS SOMETHING ELSE :eek:
AHHHHH :eek:

This is a 15" mid-2009 macBOok Pro

----------

I tested it with the ODD disconnected. Then I tested it with the hard drive disconnected. SAME PROBLEM AHH!!!

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
Sorry for the dumb question, but whats a temperature of Mac? Could it be overheating?
Also, try resetting PRAM/NVRAM/SMC without battery plugged in (with only Magsafe)

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I've also tested with a fan disconnected.

Then... I tested it with a RAM module removed....
AND....
IT WORKED...... :eek: ZOMG IT WORKED
I don't understand... I just bought this RAM and it has been working fine! I bought this RAM to replace old RAM which was bad. NOW THIS RAM IS BAD? Maybe there is something wrong with my MBP that is destroying rams... I just don't see how it could break when doing nothing!

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I put the battery back in. I took the bottom RAM out, and the RAM that was in the top that I took out first and tested, I put that in the bottom slot. Launched, and guess what? I got the memory failure beep!! :eek: I took it out and put the other RAM in that slot and it worked fine!

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, I JUST GOT NEW RAM TO REPLACE BAD RAM AND NOW THIS IS BAD?! :eek: :mad:

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
Try running memtest on this supposedly failed RAM module (not necessarily using Macbook)
You could make a bootable memtest USB

----------

Please give a clear list, what RAM modules you have been using, and their parameters.
Some things, like CAS latency (timings), are very important here.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I put the two RAM back in reverse positons I think, and it works now...
weird

I swapped the RAMs around and they all work now...
So I suppose it was just a bad contact

This is Hynix ram, 2x2GB 1066MHz RAM. Exact same RAM as would be there originally.

I'll put it back together and do some memtest

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
Well maybe you didnt insert them properly at the first time...

In any case, I strongly advise running a memtest

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Who manifactured the "new" RAM?

Unfortunately "new" and "known good" are not necessarily the same thing.

Hynix
It wasn't brand new, it was used from ebay, from someones mac. People upgrade their macs and sell the old ram.

Well I think I solved my problem... just a bad connection. I am doing memtest now.

But I don't see how it could've lost connection... I didn't touch it or anything.

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
Any electronic component or mechanism deteriorates over time, and RAM isnt an exception. Pls run memtest to make sure everything will be fine

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Well it passed a whole pass with no errors so I will mar this as resoloved

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Hynix
It wasn't brand new, it was used from ebay, from someones mac. People upgrade their macs and sell the old ram.

Well I think I solved my problem... just a bad connection. I am doing memtest now.

But I don't see how it could've lost connection... I didn't touch it or anything.

Probably dirt or corrosion caused a marginal connection, glad its working now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.