Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechSqueezer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2024
Got some brown spots on my MackBook Pro Mid-2012, which are visible when the screen is on and prominent on a white background. Started with one and now there are 6 over 3 weeks. Mouse pointer and screen content is visible behind the spots.

(Image attached)

Anyone knows a fix or cause for it? At least how to stop more from happening? Thanks!

Attachments

• image_6483441.JPG
    image_6483441.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 93

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
At least 2 of those spots look drawn, like with a permanent marker.
And, one appears to be smeared, again, like a marker pen, but tried to remove before the ink dried (and not successfully)
Have you tried to "clean" any of those spots? If permanent marker, then the screen is forever damaged.
There may be products that can clean paint spots, but would probably remove any coating that remains on the screen, and would forever be visible, even if the paint color is gone.
Well, permanent marker is my guess for the cause. The fix? Replace the screen

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Is this retina (no DVD), or non-retina (has DVD on right side)?

Can you physically "feel" them on the outside surface of the screen?
Or... do they appear "deeper down", below the surface?

Unless you're sure of your abilities and can get a replacement display panel REALLY cheap, may not be worth the cost of repair on a 12-year-old MBP...

TechSqueezer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2024
Is this retina (no DVD), or non-retina (has DVD on right side)?

Can you physically "feel" them on the outside surface of the screen?
Or... do they appear "deeper down", below the surface?

Unless you're sure of your abilities and can get a replacement display panel REALLY cheap, may not be worth the cost of repair on a 12-year-old MBP...
This is non-retina. No - it is not on the surface, but beneath. Yeah not really sure its a display panel problem because beneath the spots, the display works well

TechSqueezer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2024
At least 2 of those spots look drawn, like with a permanent marker.
And, one appears to be smeared, again, like a marker pen, but tried to remove before the ink dried (and not successfully)
Have you tried to "clean" any of those spots? If permanent marker, then the screen is forever damaged.
There may be products that can clean paint spots, but would probably remove any coating that remains on the screen, and would forever be visible, even if the paint color is gone.
Well, permanent marker is my guess for the cause. The fix? Replace the screen
Hey - this is beneath the surface of the screen, can't see it when the screen is off.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Then-- some dead/stuck pixels.
You COULD try gently massaging those areas (with power ON so you can instantly see any change. I would particularly try a quick rub with one or two fingertips on either the largest spot, or the other spot that is a bit fuzzy. Don't apply a huge amount of presure, as you can end up bruising, or even cracking the screen. I would describe the pressure as what you would use on a bruised area of your own body, while You are looking for a change, either for the better, or worse. Sometimes you get lucky with that treatment. But then, 6 spots is a lot to hope for... I have seen the "treatment" to help with single stuck-pixel spots on relatively new screens, but I don't know what you can expect with a 8-12 year old LCD panel.

epsilon

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
I have the the same issue in Macbook pro late 2011 model. These brown marks growing day by day.

Attachments

• IMG_1715.JPG
    IMG_1715.JPG
    849.6 KB · Views: 35

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have the the same issue in Macbook pro late 2011 model. These brown marks growing day by day.
The "rainbow" coloration indicates a pressure bruise, nearly cracking the screen. Certainly the screen is under stress in that area. It's not pixels, or pixel groups, such as those on the OP's picture, but stress on your screen. Nothing you can do at this point, except make a decision if it is worth it to replace the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.