Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NovaLFS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2020
MANHATTAN, NY
So basically i have a MacBook Pro 2014 that I replaced the SSD from a MacBook Air of the same year. I tried to install macOS Catalina on it (as a HFS+ drive) and it installed and then the MacBook doesn’t detect the drive to boot off of. Is there any way to fix it? (I can reproduce this when I try to install OS X Yosemite on the drive as well)

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
as far as I know post High Sierra, you have to format de SSD to APFS. Then install Mojave or Catalina.

EDIT: long version: High Sierra can be installed HFS+ and APFS. if you're installing Catalina from a OS before High Sierra, formatting doesn't give you the option APFS. So you could install HS on another HDD and then format the SSD to APFS, and install. Or make a bootable usb installer for Catalina, and when you open the installer, you can format to APFS before install. There is a workaround to install Mojave(and Catalina I guess) with HFS+ but thats a different story...

Last edited:

NovaLFS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2020
MANHATTAN, NY
as far as I know post High Sierra, you have to format de SSD to APFS. Then install Mojave or Catalina.
When I had it formatted as APFS, it said that I would need to update the firmware. Tried to get Catalina installed on an external drive, but it said that it was unable to verify firmware

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
For a firmware update, the SSD should be internal. So before the install on the SSD the installer will update the firmware.

EDIT: if you still can't install Catalina from a usb this way, you might have to install HS on the internal SSD, download Mojave/Catalina and do the firmware update and install booted from the internal HS disc without other HDD external.

EDIT2: when the installer verified the hardware and starts the firmware update, be sure to leave the power supply connected, don't interrupt it and be patient, this can take a little while..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.