Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Olaf L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Chicago
My Macbook Pro 13" retina Display 2014 doesn't turn on. First, I open it and it doesn't wake up like it normally would, then I hold the power button and it makes the "doo" sound but the screen is black (but on) and the keyboard lights up, no display. The keyboard brightness doesn't work and no functions work. Then when I close it, the logo is still lit as if it didn't recognize that that closed it. I didn't drop it recently and nothing spilled on it. I went to the Apple store and they didn't know what was wrong with it. I tried to connect another display but nothing happened, it just said HDMI no signal. I'm thinking to replace the hard drive. Do you think its the Graphics Card or some other hardware, or maybe a software problem? Please respond this laptop is very important to me!! Thank you.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Try this:
How to reset NVRAM
Follow these steps to reset your Mac computer's NVRAM.

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.
Then reset the SMC:
If the battery is nonremovable

1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your Mac.
  3. Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all keys, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac

Olaf L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Chicago
Update: What Ries suggested didn't work. Honestly I give up, does anyone know any good places that can take a look at my mac for better price than the Apple store (they charge $500). Thank you.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I think you should try an external display again, but use a mini DisplayPort cable to connect to a display that supports a DisplayPort connection. The HDMI connection has too many "traps" that might prevent a good test, perhaps there is a compatibility issue with the HDMI cable that you tried.

If you have tried both the SMC and PRAM/NVRAM resets, and you still don't see any video:
Try booting up your MBPro, wait for a couple of minutes, then shine a bright light into the screen at various angles, and different areas on the screen. You would be looking for any desktop items, such as the menubar at the top, or the Dock.
It may be quite dim, if the backlight is not coming on.

If the resets don't help at all, and the bright light in the screen doesn't show anything, and an external display does not provide any video when attached, then, most likely the graphics card, which would mean replacing the logic board.

The cheapest way to do this is through Apple. Take your MacBook Pro to an Apple store, and ask about their "Flat-rate" repair. They will ship it off to Apple's central repair depot. All hardware failures that would normally be covered under warranty would be repaired, and you end up with a like-new MBPro! The cost is less than $350.
Keep in mind that accidental damage, such as cracked display, drops/falls, liquid damage, etc, that are not considered a part failure, will not be included in that program.

babby

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2008
The Apple Store is charging $500 just to look at it? That makes no sense.

I just got home from the Apple Store with the similar problem. My Mac was turning on, but was having trouble waking from sleep. They did not charge anything to look at it. The Genius told me he reset/deleted the sleep image file and it seems to be working fine now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.