Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TerraMati

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
Hello,

I have a problem with my Mid-2010 MacBook Pro. It has High Sierra installed and 6gb of ram. Around 3-4 months ago I installed Catalina through dosdude1's patcher and it worked fine until it started randomly shutting off and beeping. It was also time when the battery just went straight from great condition to not charging at all and displaying repair now message. Before installing Catalina closing the lid put the computer to sleep and it took like 5 seconds to wake from it. After Catalina it stopped putting itself to sleep by closing the lid. So after these problems happened I went back to High Sierra. Everything is very good except the sleep. As the battery I put in my old one that's very bad. But it works. But now the sleep issues:

- When closing the lid the macbook's screen is still on. I left it like this for 5min, still on.
- When I put it to sleep and came back to continue what I was doing it just displayed a black screen. I left it for like 10min, nothing. I had to restart the computer and after 1 restart it displayed a screen with my login screen that was grey and there was and a loading bar or something, it was not moving.
- When I put it to sleep manually it takes a minute for the fans to stop.

That's all. Any help appreciated!

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I suppose you ran the hardware diagnostics program. Have you tried booting in safe mode?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Around 3-4 months ago I installed Catalina through dosdude1's patcher and it worked fine until it started randomly shutting off and beeping. It was also time when the battery just went straight from great condition to not charging at all and displaying repair now message."

It seems to me that "the way back" to good operating condition is to get rid of the Catalina install, and "go back to" an Apple-supported version of the OS.

According to everymac.com, the last Apple-supported OS that runs on the mid-2010 MPB is 10.13 "High Sierra".

I'd try installing that.

BE AWARE that you will have to COMPLETELY ERASE the internal drive to install it, so be sure that you're fully backed up to an external drive first.

I'd try CarbonCopyCloner to create the backup. CCC is FREE to download and use for 30 days, so if you time things right, it won't cost you anything to do this.

Last edited:

TerraMati

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
So after these problems happened I went back to High Sierra
I said in the first post that I already went back because Catalina made the Mac completely unusable.
I suppose you ran the hardware diagnostics program. Have you tried booting in safe mode?
No, I didn't and I don't know what that is. I will try safe mode.

TerraMati

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
When trying to do it by holding D at startup it loads into Loading internet recovery screen, then just displays an error, I attached the image here.
When trying to boot from the AHT usb it doesn't show up when holding Option on startup. One of the commands doesn't work.

Attachments

• AppleHardwareTest.jpg
    AppleHardwareTest.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 184

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I offer this as "a workaround", and NOT as "a fix".

What happens if you put the MBP to sleep BEFORE you close the lid?
(go to Apple menu and choose "Sleep", then close lid)

Will it wake up again when you open the lid?

If the screen doesn't wake up, what happens if you touch one of the "brightness" keys (immediately to the right of the ESC key)???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.