Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hihahelp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Hi, I'm kind of in a ****** situation as I have a deadline for my thesis, but my Macbook Pro is not cooperating.

I'm also in Mumbai, India which doesn't help, as there are no, or far away, official Apple stores.

Situation:

• Macbook Pro (late-2013) randomly shuts down, can sometimes be after 1 hour and sometimes be after 5 seconds.

• If the computer stays on, it works absolutely fine.

• SMC and PRAM-resets didn't work.

• Diagnostic test show no issues.

• Macbook charger light always comes on when plugged in.

• Went to a local sketchy Indian repair shop, he said immediately it's a logic board problem.

• After one day he said he replaced a part in logic board and Macbook seemed fine for the day (paid around 125 euro).

• Morning after (today) experienced the same problems; random shutdowns.

• Guy doesn't want to refund me, as agreed before, but wants to investigate further.
Does this seem like a ordinary logic board issue? Should I let the guy "repair" further, I'm afraid he will only make matters worse, or should I try another laptop repair shop?

Thanks!

pau922

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2017
Hi !

I have EXACTLY the same issue than you. I went to the Apple Store, they keep my mbp (end of 2013 like you) during 3 days, but they found nothing on my mac, no duplication of the problem on their side !!

I came back to home, started... BIM after 10Min, my mac turned into sleep mode... I removed Google Chrome, it seems better but it still happens.

I joined the system log with the details before it went to sleep mode this morning (France here). @hihahelp do you have that kind of logs too? (Go to Console > Systems (on the left))

Thank you.
[doublepost=1498977004][/doublepost]Just a point, Apple told me before doing the investigation of the issue, it could be logic board or screen. But regarding their results, I dont think so anymore.

Attachments

• systems_log.pdf
    76.9 KB · Views: 673

hihahelp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.
It's good and bad to hear that someone has the same issues.
Where exactly can I find these logs?

Yeah I also don't think it's the screen as the whole computer shuts down.

Edit: the soundcard also seems to be faulty at times; no audio

pau922

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2017
Hi,

you can go to applications > utilities > console. On the left of the console windows, check on "system.log"

hihahelp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Ok will try, now I can't even get past the log in screen before it shuts.
Reallllly frustrating

pau922

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2017
Ok will try, now I can't even get past the log in screen before it shuts.
Reallllly frustrating

Hey,

Is your problem solved?

I just went to a mac fix shop, they change keyboard and deoxidized a part of the logicboard, it works well during 2 days without shut-off and for 2 hours now issue has started again :((( 230€ for this and it doesnt work.. Very frustrating.

Thank you

hihahelp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Well brought it back already two times. This time (3rd "repair") they replaced the GPU chip apparently and it has been working for 72+ hours. However, they managed to screw up the backlit keyboard.

He said it could also be a lithium battery dis-balance that makes it shut down randomly.

caspergirl

macrumors regular
May 15, 2010
I had the same problem with my MacBook Pro mid2010 and finally is problem with the graphic card, unfortunately impossible to repair due to lack of spare parts

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2003
Well brought it back already two times. This time (3rd "repair") they replaced the GPU chip apparently and it has been working for 72+ hours. However, they managed to screw up the backlit keyboard.

He said it could also be a lithium battery dis-balance that makes it shut down randomly.

I just had this same issue, same model. It's the GPU/logic board unfortunately, they were right to replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.