Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

socamx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
Hope this is a good place to ask: I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good ExpressCard/34 Compact Flash reader? (Or maybe a firewire one if they exist and is decent?)

I now have two CF cards (both Sandisk Extreme III 30MB/s - 200x) for my dSLR. I figured that I'm more likely to swap cards now so it makes sense to me to get a card reader.

I found this link through these forums:
http://www.delkin.com/products/adapters/expresscard34/

As well as this on macsales.com:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apiotek/ECCF3Q/

And this from newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839328017

Edit: Found More:
http://digigearinc.com/_wsn/page16.html
http://www.synchrotech.com/products-expc/expresscard-memory-card-adapters_03-compactflash_pcie.html

Problem is I can't seem to find any reviews or user feedback on any of the items. I don't want to spend money on a card reader that is slower than using the camera itself to transfer the data or is just not reliable. My camera is an Olympus e510 (with USB 2.0 built in), so if the reader is going to be slower than that I'd like to know.

Thanks for any suggestions and help guys.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Most card readers are USB2, is the speed of that connection really going to slow you down too much?

If so, I'd opt for the Delkin Express Card Adaptor.

socamx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
It's not that it's going to slow me down (I am actually pretty patient), I just don't see a point in buying something that won't transfer as fast as the actual camera could.

That's why I'm looking for an ExpressCard or Firewire based solution, so that the bus (be it ExpressCard or Firewire) will definitely be faster than the card can put out, increasing the chance of a faster transfer verses USB 2.0 which can bottleneck due to quite a few reasons (particularly under a high CPU load like when Aperture is processing and loading the photos).

I'm also fairly certain that a USB 2.0 based reader would be faster than the camera's built-in USB, but I'd still rather go ExpressCard (preferably) or Firewire.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
SanDisk has thier line of extreme firewire readers, they are quite expensive however at around $80...

And I would stear clear of those ExpressCard readers. Cards that stick out like that ALWAYS go wrong, even if you are very cautious when using them.

socamx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
Well if SanDisk has quality readers then they're probably worth the price. Plus I bet some smart hunting around could find some good deals on it. So far SanDisk hasn't let me down with their flash cards. *knocks wood*

When you say they go wrong, do you mean because they're generally built cheap? Or is it because people just aren't careful and wind up breaking them because they stick out.

I'll take a look around for firewire ones then if that's a better bet than going ExpressCard.

ocbaud

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
Midwest City, Oklahoma
i have a sandisk extreme firewire 800 card reader and i love it :)
has an adapter cable to go from 800 native on the reader to 400 also if your system doesn't have fw800

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
I just got a SanDisk USB 2 reader and it's great. It copies a 4 GB card into Aperture in maybe 3 minutes? My old reader, USB 1, took somewhere around 30-40 minutes.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I have the old version o the Delkin, not sure what has changed but it has always worked well for me. it is faster than my old USB reader but that was old so I'm not sure how it would compare to newer models.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Lexar and Sandisk have FW800 card readers for around $80 and are very worth the price.

The biggest benefit that the Lexar has over the Sandisk is the UDMA write speed and the dual FW800 for daisy chaining.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Well if SanDisk has quality readers then they're probably worth the price. Plus I bet some smart hunting around could find some good deals on it. So far SanDisk hasn't let me down with their flash cards. *knocks wood*

When you say they go wrong, do you mean because they're generally built cheap? Or is it because people just aren't careful and wind up breaking them because they stick out.

I'll take a look around for firewire ones then if that's a better bet than going ExpressCard.

They break because they stick out.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium

I felt the same way, and found a bundle which had a 4GB Extreme IV CF and the FW800 Card reader for about £75, so took the plunge. Very happy with it.

digitalfrog

Suspended
Nov 26, 2007
I have the Lexar FW and will never EVER use USB anymore.
Well, as long as my current MBP lives ;-)

Lexar and Sandisk have FW800 card readers for around $80 and are very worth the price.

The biggest benefit that the Lexar has over the Sandisk is the UDMA write speed and the dual FW800 for daisy chaining.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.