Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vincent10z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
So my MBP (late 2009) has started to show the flashing folder with a question mark in it. I've tried CMD + R , Option, Option + D, and Shift all on startup and all of these keys or key combinations dont do anything. When I press option to boot from a USB with El Captain on it to re install OS X it just pops up with a gray screen and my black cursor and nothing else?

I thought it was a HDD issue so I bought a brand new HDD and the issue persists.. I've also tried resetting the PRAM and that hasn't done anything as well.. if anyone could help hat would be greatly appreciated.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Those machines have a very flaky sata cable connecting the HDD to the motherboard, a replacement is $20 on amazon. Also if you want better than new replace with an ssd it will transform the computer for you.

Reactions: ZapNZs and viss

ryguy92000

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
Those machines have a very flaky sata cable connecting the HDD to the motherboard, a replacement is $20 on amazon. Also if you want better than new replace with an ssd it will transform the computer for you.
props and dittos here. It is most certainly a drive cable. Replace the drive too while your in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.