Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
MD
I am looking to buy a used Macbook Pro, I was thinking of the 2015 13" versions for her to use. Would that be a good buy and will last her through high school? I recognize that I might have the change the battery in a few years. Will it be a reliable machine for a middle school student through high school?

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
I am looking to buy a used Macbook Pro, I was thinking of the 2015 13" versions for her to use. Would that be a good buy and will last her through high school? I recognize that I might have the change the battery in a few years. Will it be a reliable machine for a middle school student through high school?
2015 13" is still perfect machine, even for developer.
maybe go with 8/256 or 8/512 is more than enough for school.
if you're care about your machine, you can used hardcover, so their face still perfect even for 5 years and you can used in university :D

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
MD
2015 13" is still perfect machine, even for developer.
maybe go with 8/256 or 8/512 is more than enough for school.
if you're care about your machine, you can used hardcover, so their face still perfect even for 5 years and you can used in university :D
Awesome thanks, I was looking at the 8/128, and noticed the 8/256 has a faster SSD, so I will look for that.

Is the keyboard still reliable after all these years, 2015 should have the scissor type?

And what I noticed is that Apple introduced the force touch touch-pad in 2015, which should be more reliable than the mechanical type.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Regarding storage, remember most K-12 and college students have access to unlimited cloud storage thru their school.

We use Google and all our students and staff have unlimited storage as long as we log in using the school's email address.

Chromebooks with very limited storage works well with our students as all docs, files, videos, etc are all stored in the cloud.

I recently sold out on my lot of 30 Macbook Airs that had 64GB SSD after the parents found out that unlimited cloud storage would have little impact on the local storage...

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
MD
Regarding storage, remember most K-12 and college students have access to unlimited cloud storage thru their school.

We use Google and all our students and staff have unlimited storage as long as we log in using the school's email address.

Chromebooks with very limited storage works well with our students as all docs, files, videos, etc are all stored in the cloud.

I recently sold out on my lot of 30 Macbook Airs that had 64GB SSD after the parents found out that unlimited cloud storage would have little impact on the local storage...
Thats a good point. I was thinking of 256G purely from a longevity point of view, it will not feel as sluggish in a few years compared to the slower 128G SSD. Maybe it won’t matter, like you said.

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
Awesome thanks, I was looking at the 8/128, and noticed the 8/256 has a faster SSD, so I will look for that.

Is the keyboard still reliable after all these years, 2015 should have the scissor type?

And what I noticed is that Apple introduced the force touch touch-pad in 2015, which should be more reliable than the mechanical type.

2015 keyboard is still the best I think.

Reactions: spacemnspiff

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
Most schools use cheap Chromebooks with unlimited cloud storage, but with crap displays, touchpads, keyboards, and performance. 2015 Keyboard is the best, and is very reliable. You may want to look for a model with 16 GB RAM, for multitasking.

Reactions: spacemnspiff

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
MD
Thanks for the replies. I want this for the daughter so that she can do some image and home video editing.

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
MacBook Air is the way to go. I gave up the cheap Lenovo Chromebooks as the performance is bad, sometime the page could not load at all - even on google classroom. Last week, I switched Chromebook to MBA 2020 and 13" MacBook from 2016, kids love the performance and since then they stopped complaining about blank pages.... the only downside, which,IMHO, is quite important, is that Mac does not support touchscreen, most chromebooks do. So it would be difficult for them to use trackpad for some assignments.

Reactions: Tekguy0
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.