Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vdivon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2023
I bought a MacBook Pro from 2011 completely new and put Catalina on it. I need to know if its good for editing or using blender.
It has 4GB memory, around 270 GB free space and graphics are Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB. Is it good for blender or video editing

?​

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
the video card is ehh, compared to the 2012 but still can perform well
what intel # chip is inside?
also Catalina does not like 32-bit programs were Mojave does.

Reactions: FarmerBob

theMarble

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
I need to know if its good for editing or using blender.
That would depend on what you call "good for editing", and what kind of editing/3D work you are doing.

If you are doing very simple 720p (maybe lower-bitrate 1080p) editing, then you may be fine, however any high quality 1080p and higher resolution will 100% make it choke, or even complex 720p work.

With Blender, it also depends on what you are doing. If you are making very simple models with a low polygon count, then you may be fine, but anything higher than that or any animation, and this will scream to a halt instantly.

I personally wouldn't have bought a computer with a 12 year old dual-core i5 with integrated graphics for the purpose of editing and 3D work. You could upgrade it to 16GB of RAM and an SSD, which will definitely help with the machine feeling fast overall, however the low-spec 12 year old hardware will most likely be a choke point.

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
That might not be enough memory, but you can put it double the memory Apple specs. The reset is trial and error. I've been able to do amazing things on gear that one wouldn't think you could. But there are just things you do to max out a machine just in case.

vdivon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2023
That would depend on what you call "good for editing", and what kind of editing/3D work you are doing.

If you are doing very simple 720p (maybe lower-bitrate 1080p) editing, then you may be fine, however any high quality 1080p and higher resolution will 100% make it choke, or even complex 720p work.

With Blender, it also depends on what you are doing. If you are making very simple models with a low polygon count, then you may be fine, but anything higher than that or any animation, and this will scream to a halt instantly.

I personally wouldn't have bought a computer with a 12 year old dual-core i5 with integrated graphics for the purpose of editing and 3D work. You could upgrade it to 16GB of RAM and an SSD, which will definitely help with the machine feeling fast overall, however the low-spec 12 year old hardware will most likely be a choke point.
well i bought it cuz it was cheap as hell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.