Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roanmy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Hi,

I have an early (I think) 2015 Macbook Pro 13". For the most part it's been great, it's quick and the battery is still excellent.

However, recently I have increasingly been experiencing frequent instances where the computer heats up, and the fan starts spinning, from browsing alone. Safari is also lagging far more than before, and noticeably more than Chrome. This hasn't happened before, so any ideas?

Jipster23

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
Hi,

I have an early (I think) 2015 Macbook Pro 13". For the most part it's been great, it's quick and the battery is still excellent.

However, recently I have increasingly been experiencing frequent instances where the computer heats up, and the fan starts spinning, from browsing alone. Safari is also lagging far more than before, and noticeably more than Chrome. This hasn't happened before, so any ideas?

You need to post temperatures to determine how high it actually gets. Use an app like istat to find out

roanmy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Hi, thanks for your reply. The actual temperatures aren't really of interest here, I can *feel* it getting toasty and I can hear the fans. As opposed to when using Chrome, where it keeps cool and noiseless. I should point out this is with the charger plugged in.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Could be a function which sites you visit, and if they have added new ads, video, or other features. These can have quite different requirements on different browsers.

Reactions: ZapNZs

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
  • What OS are you on and is your system up to date?
  • Do you use websites that use flash?
  • Does this happen only with certain websites?
  • Do you have any extensions installed in Safari? (for example, AdGuard or 1Password or TrafficLight)
  • When this is happening, can you open Activity Monitor and post a screen shot of your top CPU processes?
  • Have you tried any troubleshooting yet, such as deleting the cache?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.