Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laisha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Far northern Maine.
Yesterday, my MacBook Pro started acting up.

For no apparent reason, it sort of pixilated -- though technically that's not what it did, but it looked almost the same -- and froze up. Twice, I forced it to power down by holding the power button off.

Then today, it did the visual thing but rebooted.

Then the apple came on, and it got about 3/4 of the way through the check and rebooted. It's looped.

I tried to get it into safe mode, but it refuses.

Help!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
A Late 2011, 15-inch MBPro, will likely be troubled by graphics issues.
A failed graphics chip can exhibit a number of symptoms, one of them being unexpected reboots.
Apple will replace the logic board to fix your MBPro free of charge. - check this page for details

(CoastalOR beat me to it!)

Reactions: Laisha and 997440

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks. But this doesn't work for me.

This MacBook Pro does not have a removable battery, and as I said in my OP, it won't boot all the way up. It does nothing but reboot.
Good point above by @CoastalOR and @DeltaMac.

You can still try to reset the SMC --

[...] If the battery is nonremovable

1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your Mac.
  3. Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time.
4. Release all keys, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac
[...]
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Reactions: CoastalOR

TomH TX

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
Had anything else changed or been changed recently? One other option would be that you could try to put it into recovery mode and restore the operating system.

Laisha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Far northern Maine.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.