Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lefevre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
I'm in the situation that I'm about to buy a Macbook Pro (In the beginning of April). I know that it's a better idea to wait, as there's an update soon, but since my other laptop was stolen in the airport 7 months back, I've been borrowing a laptop that gets overheated, it's slow, can't run anything unless it runs Linux and all sorts of crap.

So, I'm in a need of a new computer and I've been wanting the Macbook Pro for years - So now I decided it's time.

My question is - I live in Denmark - So when I buy it, will the OS be set to Danish language? Or will I be able to choose when I start it up first time? I'd prefer if the OS is in English, as it's easier to follow guides on the internet if I run into trouble.

I'll be buying the Macbook Pro 13'' in a store named Elgiganten, if it makes any difference.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
You will be able to change the language to any language it comes with upon the first startup, and Dansk is one of the languages it comes with.

2012_03_21_pA1_SysPrefsLangTextLanguages.png

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I would assume it would come into your native language. Even though usually first boot allows you to pick your speak. If not, just go into settings and into Language and pick the one you want. I just bought a new 13" MBP, I often find my self wanting a 15" for more power and bigger screen. Just thought I would let you know.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I bought mine in Austria and but I set the primary language to English.
Apps usually install with the primary language as a default. It works just fine.
I don't do it because of guides but simply because menu items are shorter in English. German just has inconveniently long words. Also in programming most stuff is English only and I am more used to it.

Lefevre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
You will be able to change the language to any language it comes with upon the first startup, and Dansk is one of the languages it comes with.
Thanks! Very useful :)

I would assume it would come into your native language. Even though usually first boot allows you to pick your speak. If not, just go into settings and into Language and pick the one you want. I just bought a new 13" MBP, I often find my self wanting a 15" for more power and bigger screen. Just thought I would let you know.
I like smaller screens for some reason. I've always had 14'' with a lower resolution than the 13'' MBP, I've often used Macbooks with 13'' and the screen resolution is just perfect for me. I also like the design of the smaller MBP's more for some reason. I understand the power thing though. Can't afford a bigger model either, haha.

I bought mine in Austria and but I set the primary language to English.
Apps usually install with the primary language as a default. It works just fine.
I don't do it because of guides but simply because menu items are shorter in English. German just has inconveniently long words. Also in programming most stuff is English only and I am more used to it.
Good to hear it from a person in the same situation. Danish also have long words and programs are often poorly translated into Danish, sometimes it's hard to figure out what they mean by the word they use. English is easier for me when using IT. Yes! I program too, and most stuff is in English, so I find it easier just to stay in the English thinking instead of switching all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.