Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Does anyone know what this noise means? I'm scared to turn the thing on now but i really need to back up my stuff if it breaks... They changed the whole motherboard a few months ago.

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Off-center fan, probably, causing it to scrape on something. Replace it.

Your data should be safe on the hard drive.

So i should definately not turn it back on to do a backup then? Is it my fault or Apple's? Meaning, will they make me pay for it?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
So i should definately not turn it back on to do a backup then? Is it my fault or Apple's? Meaning, will they make me pay for it?

It's a dead fan, it should be ok if you don't push things too hard.

As to who's "fault" it is.... it's wear and tear. It's probably full of dust and other crap, your machine is going on 6 years old and at 2x the extended warranty period, are you seriously expecting Apple to replace it for free?

Buy new fan from iFixit or something....

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
It's a dead fan, it should be ok if you don't push things too hard.

As to who's "fault" it is.... it's wear and tear. It's probably full of dust and other crap, your machine is going on 6 years old and at 2x the extended warranty period, are you seriously expecting Apple to replace it for free?

Buy new fan from iFixit or something....

My computer is screaming like a helicopter and you're spending your time lecturing me? It was a question! If they're going to charge me 1000$ i need to know beforehand
[doublepost=1460306164][/doublepost]If we can talk without irritation for a moment, do I change the left and right fan then? I would like to try myself as my computer is ancient like you said. There's no need to throw it away though, its fully functional otherwise with an ssd and a 15inch screen.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
My computer is screaming like a helicopter and you're spending your time lecturing me? It was a question! If they're going to charge me 1000$ i need to know beforehand
[doublepost=1460306164][/doublepost]If we can talk without irritation for a moment, do I change the left and right fan then? I would like to try myself as my computer is ancient like you said. There's no need to throw it away though, its fully functional otherwise with an ssd and a 15inch screen.
The fan's worth about $15 and would take me all of 10 minutes to replace. If you know how to operate a screwdriver without stabbing yourself you have all the necessary skill to replace it. I'd change both, if one failed, the other's about the same age and is probably going to follow suit soon enough.

Reactions: JTToft

SgtPepper23

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Los Angeles, California
As other's have said, replace the fan. If you're strapped for money at the moment and want to replace just one fan, remove the bottom cover and power on the laptop, while making sure which of the fans is the faulty one. Here's the link to the iFixit guides, they're a huge help! Link

I have the same laptop you do, and i replaced the fan about 2 years back, though it was my fault as I had accidentally stripped the cable during an unrelated incident (my RAM slot's contacts were going bad, causing my laptop to randomly reboot, freeze, and just generally screw up, got the motherboard replaced...). I hesitate to call my trooper of a laptop ancient!

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
I will replace both myself :) thanks to you all for your input :)

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
So I now have gotten all the parts in the mail to do the replacement, except the spudger which should arrive in five days. Is it possible to do it without a spudger?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
So I now have gotten all the parts in the mail to do the replacement, except the spudger which should arrive in five days. Is it possible to do it without a spudger?
Yes, I've never used one. You can use anything non-conductive, your nails, the corner of a credit card, etc.

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Yes, I've never used one. You can use anything non-conductive, your nails, the corner of a credit card, etc.
I now changed both fans for new ones, using a credit card as a spudger :)

Guess what the fault was? Both fans was fine... It was a small, green, glass particle stuck inside the left fan.

Are there anything green of glass that could have broke inside the mac and fallen into the fan? I don't understand, cause I don't have any object that is green and made of glass that has broken in my apartment.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Are there anything green of glass that could have broke inside the mac and fallen into the fan? I don't understand, cause I don't have any object that is green and made of glass that has broken in my apartment.
- Curious. Must've been environmental, though. Pretty sure there isn't anything like that in the MBP.

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
- Curious. Must've been environmental, though. Pretty sure there isn't anything like that in the MBP.
Either that or it fell in when they changed my motherboard a couple of months ago.

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
I'm answering your question, and illustrating that you are WAY, WAY out of warranty, thus expecting free repair is unreasonable.
I just fixed my computer, stop dwelling in the past. I paid for it myself.
[doublepost=1460737294][/doublepost]Apple gave me a new motherboard two months ago, for free. I'm from Norway, our laws for warranty is longer. So anything is possible if the fault is fabrication error. When I wrote that question it was BEFORE I knew it was the fans that made the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.