Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kakafoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2023
Hello everybody!

I'm about to freak out. When trying to boot my Macbook Pro, the Apple logo and progress bar appears, it makes some progress, but then the fan starts spinning and after 2 seconds or so the computer shuts down completely. Booting into Safe mode or Recovery is impossible, as the same exact thing happens! Connecting a power supply makes no difference.

What puzzles me is that I was in the same situation a week ago or so. That time I opened up the Macbook to see if anything abnormal was visible (there wasn't.) But for some strange reason, after putting back the back cover, the computer started as normal!

I immediately ran Apple Diagnostics, but no problem was found. So I went ahead and used the computer as normal. Everything seemed fine except that the fan started spinning at high speed at random times, even without any CPU/GPU-heavy app running. I installed iStat menus to check the temperature sensors but everything looked OK (25-35°C.) Today the aforementioned problem returned: power button -> apple logo -> fan noise -> shutdown.

Is my Macbook giving up on me after only 2 years? 😢

Model: MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

UPDATE: For whatever reason, I tried connecting my external monitor (via a usb->hdmi dongle) and the computer wouldn't power up at all (no chime or apple logo.) Then I disconnected it, connected a power supply instead and... IT'S BOOTING UP AND RUNNING AS NORMAL! 🥳 What is going on here?

UPDATE 2: Aaaaand it's broken again. Same exact behaviour 😢 Anyone have a clue what the problem might be?

Last edited:

kakafoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2023
UPDATE 3: In case someone googles this in the future. I handed in the computer to a repair shop and, surprisingly, it was the battery that was defect. After changing the battery, the computer now works perfectly again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.