Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hybrid_x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Teh Interwebz
I just tried out my new M1 Max with my streaming setup for conference calls and teaching, where I use an OBS virtual camera into Zoom.

I'm using the exact same lighting as I was using with my old 2017 Touch Bar MacBook Pro, and the same software setup. Overall, the camera image looks much better in brightness, contrast, and resolution, as I would expect with a 5-year evolution and going from a 720p camera to 1080p.

However, when I pulled down my green screen and activated the Chroma Key filter in OBS, things kind of fell apart. There is noticeable noise in the camera picture, so much that the "fringe" from the Chroma Key has a constant "shimmer" to it, making it nearly unusable.

Usually noise can be reduced by adding more light, but I'm already flooding the setup with a pair of 800 lumen, 5000k lamps on either side of me, and a ring light directly ahead. And I didn't need any more light with my old laptop's camera.

Is anybody else noticing significant camera noise on their M1 MBP? I noticed that Apple has tried to address noise issues with the Studio Display's camera, but I don't seem to see much in the way of discussion around the MBP's camera being noisy. Is it just my machine?

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
I just tried out my new M1 Max with my streaming setup for conference calls and teaching, where I use an OBS virtual camera into Zoom.

I'm using the exact same lighting as I was using with my old 2017 Touch Bar MacBook Pro, and the same software setup. Overall, the camera image looks much better in brightness, contrast, and resolution, as I would expect with a 5-year evolution and going from a 720p camera to 1080p.

However, when I pulled down my green screen and activated the Chroma Key filter in OBS, things kind of fell apart. There is noticeable noise in the camera picture, so much that the "fringe" from the Chroma Key has a constant "shimmer" to it, making it nearly unusable.

Usually noise can be reduced by adding more light, but I'm already flooding the setup with a pair of 800 lumen, 5000k lamps on either side of me, and a ring light directly ahead. And I didn't need any more light with my old laptop's camera.

Is anybody else noticing significant camera noise on their M1 MBP? I noticed that Apple has tried to address noise issues with the Studio Display's camera, but I don't seem to see much in the way of discussion around the MBP's camera being noisy. Is it just my machine?
You are not alone and I just used an external webcam for a better quality session.

Reactions: hybrid_x

hybrid_x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Teh Interwebz
Have you tried using a more natural light oriented setup? Seems to me like too many lamps are causing issue with the sensor; although, in theory they shouldn't.

Natural lighting is not possible and not ideal with a green screen setup, where you want uniform lighting on the green screen and the subject illuminated from the front and behind, with as few shadows or hot spots as possible.

Digital camera sensors get noisy in low light conditions. Throwing more light at them is usually the solution.

hybrid_x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Teh Interwebz
You are not alone and I just used an external webcam for a better quality session.
I'm grateful that they finally upped the camera to 1080p, but yeah, it looks a little over-processed and that noise problem is going to be a bit of an issue. I'm going to pick up some higher-lumen light bulbs this weekend, and hopefully that helps it. I don't want to have to spend even more money to overcome a ****** built-in camera.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Natural lighting is not possible and not ideal with a green screen setup, where you want uniform lighting on the green screen and the subject illuminated from the front and behind, with as few shadows or hot spots as possible.

Digital camera sensors get noisy in low light conditions. Throwing more light at them is usually the solution.
Ahhh, understood.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.