Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SGA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
Recently bought Macbook Pro M1 Max 14”, 32 GB RAM and 1 TB storage.
Restored my old MacBook Air through Apple’s Migration Utility. Battery life went down to 6 hours only with single youtube webpage session running. Yesterday submitted the laptop for Apple Genius bar to look into the issue.
Received a call today asking not to restore stuff through Migration but instead transfer the data manually and install each application one by one. What a convenient option.
As per the support, they tested the battery life to be 14 hours.
I questioned him that battery life is claimed to be 16+ hours, and to that I got the response as, it all depends on network, kind of video streaming, blah blah blah.

Btw, Apple doesn’t know why battery life went down to 6 hours.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Btw, Apple doesn’t know why battery life went down to 6 hours.
That's why they asked you to try those things. It's possible that something about how you had your old system set up doesn't work well on the new one. Is your Air Intel based? If so, the programs on your Air are Intel, so not optimized for your new machine and running via Rosetta 2.

Did Activity Monitor show Safari was the only thing using energy?

SGA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
That's why they asked you to try those things. It's possible that something about how you had your old system set up doesn't work well on the new one. Is your Air Intel based? If so, the programs on your Air are Intel, so not optimized for your new machine and running via Rosetta 2.

Did Activity Monitor show Safari was the only thing using energy?
Apple support checked and found no suspicious abnormal processes in activity monitor. There was no Safari instance running. Youtube was running only in 1 Google Chrome tab.
I think there is something wrong with the battery itself. I have now raised return and replacement.
It might be that old Mac doesn’t support well on new but then there should be some guidelines, or maybe I couldn’t find one.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
You can live with conjecturing or you can do what they asked you to, without cribbing over it on MR. Not that difficult. Not as inconvenient as living with poor battery life.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Received a call today asking not to restore stuff through Migration but instead transfer the data manually and install each application one by one. What a convenient option.
That's the method everyone should use. Having a properly running computer is not about convenience.

Reactions: macintoshmac

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Apple support checked and found no suspicious abnormal processes in activity monitor. There was no Safari instance running. Youtube was running only in 1 Google Chrome tab.
I think there is something wrong with the battery itself. I have now raised return and replacement.
It might be that old Mac doesn’t support well on new but then there should be some guidelines, or maybe I couldn’t find one.
Did you manually re-download Google Chrome?

One of my side jobs is in a Mac-based medical office. We recently upgraded ALL workstations to M1 Mac minis from 2011 Intel Mac minis. I used a Thunderbolt cable and target disk mode to do a direct data migration with Migration Assistant on every single one. All went fine EXCEPT: Google Chrome and Google Drive (File Stream) didn't automatically update themselves to the Apple Silicon versions. Even "checking for updates" within the apps gave me nothing. I had to download and reinstall both apps again, which replaced the Intel versions I'd migrated with the Apple Silicon versions.

I've noted no other issues with Migration Assistant going from Intel to M1. Granted, these are desktops, but worth checking on your MacBook! If it was running a YouTube tab in Chrome via Rosetta, I imagine that'd tank your battery life.

Reactions: Sanpete

SGA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
You can live with conjecturing or you can do what they asked you to, without cribbing over it on MR. Not that difficult. Not as inconvenient as living with poor battery life.
If a genuine issue is cribbing to you then issue is with you. Instead of getting personal keep yourself to the matter. It’s just to highlight an issue which I experienced which even Apple Support couldn’t find the reason for. I am not ready to compromise after paying thousands of dollars.

Reactions: Vazor

SGA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
That's the method everyone should use. Having a properly running computer is not about convenience.

Maybe, but then Apple shouldn’t advertise the Migration Assistant as universal option.
Possibly I expected too much from it :)

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Maybe, but then Apple shouldn’t advertise the Migration Assistant as universal option.
Possibly I expected too much from it :)
You can check in Activity Monitor > CPU to see which programs are still Intel.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
If a genuine issue is cribbing to you then issue is with you. Instead of getting personal keep yourself to the matter. It’s just to highlight an issue which I experienced which even Apple Support couldn’t find the reason for. I am not ready to compromise after paying thousands of dollars.

You’re not ready to do what they’re asking you to. You’re just cribbing. These were your words:

“Received a call today asking not to restore stuff through Migration but instead transfer the data manually and install each application one by one. What a convenient option.”

I haven’t read anything from you that went like: I tried what they asked me to.

To the above quote, you’re responding with:

Possibly I expected too much from it.”

What’s this called? I understand this is inconvenient and like you said you expect too much from Apple, but instead of working with their method suggested on call, you’re… cribbing.

I don’t get personal with anyone on the internet in the sense you’re taking it. There’s no point. I only speak what I see. I praise people and posts here. Some crazy witty minds make me burst laughing and I have gained a wealth of information and knowledge from people here, and I acknowledge that. Is that not personal?

If you aren’t just ranting and cribbing because you’re pissed at Apple, just do what they suggested - don’t migrate - bring in your content manually on a fresh restore. It will solve issues and if it doesn’t, Apple will be there to help you through.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.