Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lazyass0

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
Hi,

just checking 8k@60 compatibility and I found something strange regarding display option on acbook PRO M2 Max ...

For one display there is no 8k@60 possible over Thunderbolt, but if we look at two displays it clearly says one 8k@60 over Thunderbolt AND one 8k@60 over HDMI.

Now or is that mistake and they put 8 instead of 4 in that line, OR it works 8k@60 over Thunderbolt IF you also connect one 8k@60 over HDMI at same time ?

What do you think ? Has somebody tried 8k@60 over Thunderbolt ?
I have just send feedback to Apple and also contacted support but on support they don't know that and will also forward this to their team :)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213503

One external display​

Supports one external display in any one of these configurations:
  • One display up to 6K at 60Hz over Thunderbolt
  • One display up to 8K at 60Hz (or 4K at 240Hz) over HDMI

Two external displays​

Supports two external displays in any one of these configurations:
  • Two displays up to 6K at 60Hz over Thunderbolt
  • One display up to 8K at 60Hz over Thunderbolt, and one display up to 8K at 60Hz (or 4K at 240Hz) over HDMI

Three external displays​

Supports three external displays in any one of these configurations:
  • One display up to 6K at 60Hz over Thunderbolt, and two displays up to 6K at 60Hz over HDMI
  • Two displays up to 6K at 60Hz over Thunderbolt, and one display up to 8K at 60Hz (or 4K at 240Hz) over HDMI

Four external displays​

Supports four external displays in this configuration:
  • Three displays up to 6K at 60Hz over Thunderbolt, and one display up to 4K at 144Hz over HDMI

Last edited:

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Pretty sure that's a typo and should be 6k, considering it's specified as thus in every other place, I don't think there's a display port spec for 8k yet?

Reactions: Lazyass0

Lazyass0

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
Pretty sure that's a typo and should be 6k, considering it's specified as thus in every other place, I don't think there's a display port spec for 8k yet?
For 8k@60hz 10bit yes, it is DP 2.1 UHBR 20 which caps out at 80.00 Gbit/s ( 77.37 Gbit/s ) without compression using 4 lanes :) 8K, 10-bpc color, 60Hz requires 59.7 Gbps.

This is probably not implemented in any MBP yet, since it was defined from VESA last autumn :) Maybe they can enable it later since it is USB4/TB4 chipset ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.