Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itzamna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Hi there.

I have a 16'' MBP M2 Max for about 5 weeks. I noticed that the left side of the lower bezel is very flimsy. As if it doesn't have nothing behind to give it support. The upper part of the lower bezel is very glued to the screen, but the lower part is not. It just sits there.

Anyway, after this weeks of usage I started to noticed that above the keys 3 and 4 the lower bezel is starting to warp (probably due to the heat of the exhaust). Is just a millimetre or something like that, but this machine is still new.

That by itself doesn’t bother me. But what worries me is that I'm afraid that this will continue to warp and eventually the bezel will crack or worse, it will "unglue" the top part of the bezel and dust starts accumulating there and on the screen.

Anyone with a 16'' M2 Max (or any other MBP) has this problem? Will it get worse?

Thank you.

jha

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2021
This has been a long standing issue since the M1 Pro’s. There are multiple threads about it and I posted about it as well.

QC really sucks on these new models: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/terrible-quality-control-macbook-pro-14.2399109/

Best thing to do is to reach out to Tim Cook via email - I did the same and they are looking into the issues and will make sure your issue gets resolved as well. The more they are made aware of these problems, the better.

jha

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2021
I did 15+ exchanges and I still have yet to get one that wasn’t damaged or defective out of the box

• Angry
Reactions: G5isAlive

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
I almost wonder if it has to do with where one is located (and therefore is sourcing their stuff). I've never, not once, had any QC issues out of the box, to include the M2 MBP 14" I literally just got about a week ago.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
jha wrote:
"I did 15+ exchanges and I still have yet to get one that wasn’t damaged or defective out of the box"

15 exchanges?

I'm surprised they didn't hand you your money back and suggest that you buy a Windows PC instead...
:cool:

Itzamna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
I’m pleased to say that my 16” M1-Pro doesn’t have this issue.

At a store I tried to see If a M2 Pro suffered from this and it also didn't had the problem. The bezel was also very flimsy but no warp. But again, it was a computer that was just sitting there. Never done any work.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
At a store I tried to see If a M2 Pro suffered from this and it also didn't had the problem. The bezel was also very flimsy but no warp. But again, it was a computer that was just sitting there. Never done any work.
I’ve been using mine for about a year and a half, but I don’t doubt the issue exists.

jha

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2021
It doesn't get hot enough to warp the bezel. You have a defective/damaged computer.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
jha wrote:
"I did 15+ exchanges and I still have yet to get one that wasn’t damaged or defective out of the box"

15 exchanges?

I'm surprised they didn't hand you your money back and suggest that you buy a Windows PC instead...
:cool:

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
This has been a long standing issue since the M1 Pro’s. There are multiple threads about it and I posted about it as well.

QC really sucks on these new models: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/terrible-quality-control-macbook-pro-14.2399109/

Best thing to do is to reach out to Tim Cook via email - I did the same and they are looking into the issues and will make sure your issue gets resolved as well. The more they are made aware of these problems, the better.
Are you able to share the response?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.