Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ardanni90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2023
Hi all,

I recently purchased the 14in MacBook Pro with m2p pro chip. I am on Sonoma 14 OS. I have a DellD6000 docking station which works with my work PC but doesn't work with the Mac. I downloaded the newest Displaylink driver for Mac and only 2 of the 3 monitors show up. I cannot seem to figure out how to get that 3rd monitor to be detected. Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That's a graphics limitation of the M2 Pro chip. You should be able to get 3 displays, if two are connected through USB4 to give you DisplayPort video, then one on HDMI. Definitely won't work with 3 externals on HDMI. The graphics chip has to support that, and the M2 Pro does not. Best multi-display support is the M2 Max.

Reactions: pshufd

ardanni90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2023
That's a graphics limitation of the M2 Pro chip. You should be able to get 3 displays, if two are connected through USB4 to give you DisplayPort video, then one on HDMI. Definitely won't work with 3 externals on HDMI. The graphics chip has to support that, and the M2 Pro does not. Best multi-display support is the M2 Max.
two of the monitors are connected through HDMI and the other is display port. I am using the DisplayLink driver since it seems that apple alone does not support 3 monitors. It might be some issues with the DisplayLink driver tied to updating to Sonoma yesterday.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
two of the monitors are connected through HDMI and the other is display port.
Was the setup working before Sonoma?

The M2 Pro in a MacBook Pro supports either 2 x DisplayPort or 1 x HDMI plus 1 x DisplayPort, so 2 x HDMI won't work unless one of the HDMIs is running via DisplayLink to HDMI (so is just running over USB from the Mac's perspective).

If you are already doing that, then I'm afraid I don't know what's going on other than perhaps an issue with support for the Dell dock.

ardanni90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2023
Was the setup working before Sonoma?

The M2 Pro in a MacBook Pro supports either 2 x DisplayPort or 1 x HDMI plus 1 x DisplayPort, so 2 x HDMI won't work unless one of the HDMIs is running via DisplayLink to HDMI (so is just running over USB from the Mac's perspective).

If you are already doing that, then I'm afraid I don't know what's going on other than perhaps an issue with support for the Dell dock.
I just got the Mac yesterday and updated to Sonoma right away so I can't say if it would have worked before hand.

But yeah it's two HDMI to HDMI and then one DisplayPort to HDMI. The set up works with my Work PC but not the new Mac. Im thinking Displaylink might not have a proper driver yet for Sonoma

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
Can you tell if one of the working monitors is using the DisplayLink? It would probably be obvious from the refresh rate or sharpness being different to the other monitor.

I still wonder if from the perspective of the Mac you are trying to run 2 x HDMI (i.e. the DisplayPort to HDMI counts as HDMI) and so out of luck. If you can, try and switch the DisplayPort to HDMI to a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable (if your monitor has that input).

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I recall a MBP with M2 Pro gives you only 2 external displays (on top of the built-in one), where as a MBP with M2 Max gives you up to 4 external displays - regardless of the port arrangement used, it tops out at 2 on the M2 Pro.

Copied from the MBP M2 Pro/Max specs page:
M2 Pro

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colours and:

Up to two external displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt, or one external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one external display with up to 4K resolution at 144Hz over HDMI

One external display supported at 8K resolution at 60Hz or one external display at 4K resolution at 240Hz over HDMI

M2 Max

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colours and:

Up to four external displays: Up to three external displays with 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one external display with up to 4K resolution at 144Hz over HDMI

Up to three external displays: Up to two external displays with 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one external display with up to 8K resolution at 60Hz or one external display with 4K resolution at 240Hz over HDMI

ardanni90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2023
Can you tell if one of the working monitors is using the DisplayLink? It would probably be obvious from the refresh rate or sharpness being different to the other monitor.

I still wonder if from the perspective of the Mac you are trying to run 2 x HDMI (i.e. the DisplayPort to HDMI counts as HDMI) and so out of luck. If you can, try and switch the DisplayPort to HDMI to a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable (if your monitor has that input).
yeah that's the problem is that all three monitors only have HDMI, which is why I have the HDMI to DisplayPort cable. Maybe I need to invest in better monitors

ardanni90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2023
I recall a MBP with M2 Pro gives you only 2 external displays (on top of the built-in one), where as a MBP with M2 Max gives you up to 4 external displays - regardless of the port arrangement used, it tops out at 2 on the M2 Pro.

Copied from the MBP M2 Pro/Max specs page:
ugh I should have done more research into that before buying. Just seems wild that they made a $2k computer not be able to handle 3 external monitors.

But I am wondering if that maybe the DisplayLink driver would allow the three monitors.

Reactions: rjbenson83

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
ugh I should have done more research into that before buying. Just seems wild that they made a $2k computer not be able to handle 3 external monitors.

But I am wondering if that maybe the DisplayLink driver would allow the three monitors.
I personally cannot vouch for DL, it may work just fine and allow you to use a third external display with your MBP - many have had luck with it, while some notice it slows down their machine or it stops working after an update is installed, etc. Try it out, you may get lucky.

spiraltom

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2023
I am also trying to get 3 displays working on an M2 Pro MBP - for which the limit is two. This article is helpful, but I'm not clear if the methods work specifically for M2 Pro. Using a dual HDMI adaptor seems like a great solution but does anyone have experience of this on an M2 Pro MacBook Pro specifically? Could I get two monitors from this device and one from the HDMI port, for example?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.