Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tashi_108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2024
Hey everyone, just bought a used MB Pro Mid 2015 to watch movies on. The laptop came with a brand new battery installed but for some reason it keeps shutting down without any low battery warning. The first time it happened it was right after I had fully charged it and I shut it down for the night and removed the power cable. The next morning when I went to power it on the battery was still at 100% but it immediatly shut down right after I logged in. Strange I thought so I shut it down and repeated the process with the same results, the laptop kept shutting down right after the log-in screen. Okay I thought this might be the battery so I ran the SMC Reset, let the battery calibrate a few times but now the issue has gotten even worse. Everything works fine so long as I boot up the laptop with a power cable, after which I can remove the cable and work solely off battery for a very unpredictable amount of time before it decides to shut down on me. I'm wondering if this is just a bad brand new battery or the previous owner didn't install it correctly? Or maybe I just need to calibrate the battery a few more times. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Have you installed Coconut battery? I'm curious what that says. Brand new third party or brand new Apple?
Are there any obvious obstructions on the cooling? Is it a clean laptop? If comfortable it might worth opening it up to check.

tashi_108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2024
Have you installed Coconut battery? I'm curious what that says. Brand new third party or brand new Apple?
Are there any obvious obstructions on the cooling? Is it a clean laptop? If comfortable it might worth opening it up to check.
Hey, really appreciate the response. The previous owner actually did a very thorough install of the battery and cleaning of the unit both inside and outside. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by any obvious obstructions on the cooling, my apologies. Can you explain more? And I believe it was an apple brand as I opened up the casing to double check whats going on. I have downloaded Coconut and everything seems to check out perfectly, yet still there is this issue only when running off of the battery.

Please see attached screenshot of coconutbattery. I have just let the battery drain completely again and charging it back up to 100% to calibrate it in hopes of the issue being resolved. Whatever the issue is it seems that there is some miscommunication between the third party battery and the power source demand of the unit. Open to trying any other suggestions, there's so many recommendations but I feel like I've tried them all already and the only thing that makes sense is the battery needs to be calibrated by letting the unit know what its threshold is, thus the SMC Reset which still did not resolve the issue. Although I have a feeling if once I calibrate the battery a few more times if the issue remains then it's possibly a faulty battery in which case I'd need to get another one and an actual Apple battery instead of a third party one. Had it been me to install it I'd have gone with the authentic battery knowing such issues would potentially arise.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 12.23.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 12.23.59 AM.png
    58 KB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 12.24.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 12.24.49 AM.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 12.23.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 12.23.10 AM.png
    101 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

tashi_108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2024
Well, I just ran the Terminal to detect the cause of the shutdowns and it showed the number 0 which indicates the battery was either not installed correctly or it's a bad battery. I'll have to open it up and check.

Had it been correctly installed the battery/laptop would go into hibernate instead of completely shutting down each time. Those are my thoughts

0Battery disconnected.Check power supply/battery on a laptop, or the power supply for a Mac without a battery. On a laptop, the Mac should hibernate before the battery becomes so discharged it is unable to shutdown correctly, therefore if you see this shutdown cause on a laptop it may indicate a hardware issue with the battery or with the battery controller for reading the charge. Try resetting the SMC by connecting the switched off computer to power, holding ⌃control+⌥option+⇧shift and pressing power.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 1.01.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 1.01.07 AM.png
    162.8 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: CrazyEd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.