Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mallende

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2018
I bought my MPB 15-in Space Gray (2017) in September 2017. In the first month, the computer started to make really loud popping sounds, like mini-explosions. First I thought it was coming from the speakers, but after I pay a little bit more of attention I noticed it was coming from the screen.

Every time the computer got a little heated, like watching a video on youtube or working on photoshop, and more constantly when the computer had to do heavier process work, like exporting raw pictures from lightroom. It was really loud, and sometimes bit of compelling, like in class room for example. It was noticeable that there was something wrong.

I took to Apple Genius Bar and they took my computer to Memphis, TN. There, as documented by them, they changed my entire display piece. The process was surprisingly fast. I took there 8th march and got it back 12th.

However, in the same day with the computer, in the first few hours, I started to hear the popping sounds again. It was really lower sounds than before, but pretty noticeable in a silent work place or studying at home.

I investigated and found the situations that the sound happens this time:

- when turning on the computer, or coming back from sleep, the computer makes a popping noise, apparently coming from the left site of the screen.

- exporting photos from Lightroom, the fans start to work and the computer makes a sequence of popping sounds. Kind of 7 or 8 in sequence. The same popping noise described in the previous topic.

- when the work is done and the fans stop working, the machine starts to cools down and makes many popping sounds in sequence again. Exactly same sound, coming from the left side of the screen.

- watching a video on youtube, less frequently, the MPB 2017 makes a few popping sounds.

- also, when moving the screen a little bit, adjusting the angle, it makes the same popping sound, but a little bit louder than the previous described.

- Found that touching some parts of the bottom part surface close to the screen, also produces the popping noise.

All these situations described wasn't happening before the first screen change. That what makes me think the problem is with the displays.

I went to Apple Store's Genius Bar today, 18th March, and told them everything I described here. The attendand could not hear the popping sound, and it's obvious because there was a huge crowd there. She took my computer to the back of the store and came back some minutes later. She told me she couldn't hear the sound but that the specialized technician told that there was reportedly an issue with the macbook screens. I ask "why?" and she told me that they don't know.

They took my computer again, telling me they would send to repair again, but that they could change the screen or not (!!), and even if they change, it could have the same problem (!!!!).

I answer her telling that I would keep taking my computer there until it is resolved and she didn't tell anything.

I don't know if it is related to the screen or maybe some malfunction on the computer itself, but I know that it is definely not ok for a $2800 computer.

They didn't offer me a new computer neither told me that the issue would be solved one way or another.

I need help on what to do in case of the don't solve the problem. I have yet 6 months of warranty and I dont want a defectived computer for such expensive price. It is definitely not acceptable.

That's all my case with my Macbook Pro.

I'll update this thread with more information as soon as I have it back.

Regards.
[doublepost=1522004707][/doublepost]The first issue, seemed to come from the top case of the screen itself. Kind of a physical expansion and contraction.

This second time the noise seems to be both physical and mechanical. Everytime I turn on the computer or screen from sleep, I get the same click noise.

Also when moving and open the lid, clack. Fortunately I recorded a video on Genius bar where I open the lid and the attendant confirms she hear the sound. In case if they come to me with the allegation that they didn't hear the sound.

I also have videos from both cases, I'll ve uploading very soon.

Another thing that happened at Genius Bar was that by my side there was a guy with a problem on his macbook screen also. According to him, when he opened the screen the screw pop up and broke the bottom of the screen. I can't speak for him but the funny thing is the Apple technician told him a new screen would be $500, while for me the attendant gave the certain that there was a problem with the screens. So if I understand right, the guy was buying a defective screen in advance????

Man, really, I'm ****** off.

My computer was already received on repair (March 20th) and I keep waiting and being damaged by this company. I dont have my money, I dont have my computer, and I dont have even a guarantee that the manufacturer defects will be solved!!

Regards,
[doublepost=1522005020][/doublepost]So I went to Apple Store to have my computer back from the second repair on March 22.

They again sent to Memphis (second time in less than 15 days).

They claimed they changed the screen again, but now, curiously, they said they found a problem on the built in audio as shown attached.

On the first receipt the symptom was different, and at that first time they did change the screen indeed (as I made sure to be able to identify). Attached.

made sure to be able to identify if they had changed the screen this time or not and they didn't. In the first time they did. So they're lying on the receipt. (!!) This is a clearly proof that they don't know how to solve the problem.

Took my computer back home to test it since it was impossible on Apple Store and Boom! Exactly the same problems described after the first repair. Another proof that they had not change the screen.

Took my computer right way back to Apple Store telling then I wouldn't accept because it was not fixed. There, an attendant took my computer to the back office to check if he could hear the sound. (I lost the count of how many time the attendants did that. By this time maybe all of them already been through my case).

He came back telling me that he didn't hear anything.

Then I told him I had videos of the problem and that I wanted to talk to the manager because I wouldn't accept this.

He went back and after a long wait he came with 2 technicians. I had to repeat for the 10th time all the situations I had. They took (again) my computer to the back office, and now came back telling me they had heard the popping sounds. One of them checked on his iPad some information and confirmed that is something that is happening to Macbook computers.

He said me it could be a glue heating and they probably could not much to solve this (!!!!). So he told me he would took again to repair, this time in store, to change the screen again, and would call me in 24-48h.

They just didn't. I had to call and after being very poorly attended, had to go myself there to have an answer on what was happenning.

This time the manager came and asked me basically "why I was there" (!!!). Seems like they do everything so you feel bad to be going after the warranty and your consumer rights.

I explained (again) all the situations. I told her I was being damaged, lost MBA homework assigments, jobs tasks interviews, jobs from my company, and that I could not wait anymore for a third or fourth repair, that I wanted a new macbook exaclty the same as mine working properly. She told me it was not an option (!!!).

Also she told me the technicians hadn't had the chance to work on my computer but that they would so between yesterday night (March 24th) and today (March 25th), commiting to call me between 11-11:30am today.

I had to leave the store without any solution and without my $3000 computer (!!!!!).

She called 20 minutes ago telling me that after testing isolating the computer parts (!!!) they found a problem in both fans and in the antena, that were not working properly.

They told me they ordered the parts for this third repair and they may have the computer fixed on March 30th (!!!!).

I'm getting close to 1 month without my computer soon. I have this computer for 6 months on March 27th and I haven't had peace since I bought it.

I bought a problem for $3000.

I checked on US laws and found that if the product has a manufacturing defect, after a reasonable repair times, they MUST give me a new unit. But they keep telling me on Apple that is not an option.

It's clear they don't know what the issue is and that it may come back with the same problem, if not with more problems, since they has opened my entire new computer for the third time now.

The computer hasn't not a single scratch or dent, never took out of my room unless to take to Apple for repair, and always used the Tech21 case bought on Apple Store as well (the mlst expensive option for macbook cases they offer).

I got the number of the Apple consumer center from the manager and I will call tomorrow.

I'm contacting an attorney and I won't rest until I have my rights.

This is a lack of respect with the consumers.

Apple stop deleting my posts. I'm not saying anything wrong.
[doublepost=1522008135][/doublepost]Apple just deleted my update in their forum for the 3rd time.

Attachments

• 19F24C7F-9CDE-49B3-9300-C9DB54413DD8.jpeg
    19F24C7F-9CDE-49B3-9300-C9DB54413DD8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 614
  • 5752BD4D-476A-4FD8-AFA1-DC304564ABA9.jpeg
    5752BD4D-476A-4FD8-AFA1-DC304564ABA9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 492
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I have heard if you mention a lawsuit or attorney to any of apple's staff they basically go into a reactive mode and will pretty much only let you talk to Apple's lawyers, any goodwill will end. I would not bring them up to any Apple employee you talk to until you actually wish to use that option. (I have just heard this, never tried it personally.)

Apple has an executive relations department (who answers emails sent to tcook@apple.com that can be useful if normal customer support channels fail. I would look into sending a nicely worded email in your situation, including what resolution you think is reasonable (device swap for new unit.)

mallende

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2018
Thanks for prompt answer Richdmoore.
Everytime I was very polite and respectful with all Apple employees that attednded me. Went there at least 7 times personally and always kept in my mind that was not the employee fault at all.

But yes, once I spoke the attorney or legal issues, the employee told me immediately that if I wanted to talk about legal issues she would hang on the phone. So she gave me a number to call, but that is only available on the week days.

I will have an update about the third repair on my computer (antena and fans) on Thursday and I wanna be prepared because if it's not ok I just want a new one properly working. In the last instance I would like to have my money back to wait and buy again when they solve the issue in the next models. I do rely on a computer to do what I do and to my MBA. The damage is huge.

It is just not fair, because they were in reactive mode since the second time I took the computer there. I now understand why so many people give up going after it. But I just won't.

I will follow your suggestion and try contact to the email you mentioned.

Thanks again for taking your time to help.

Have a good one.
Regards,

I have heard if you mention a lawsuit or attorney to any of apple's staff they basically go into a reactive mode and will pretty much only let you talk to Apple's lawyers, any goodwill will end. I would not bring them up to any Apple employee you talk to until you actually wish to use that option. (I have just heard this, never tried it personally.)

Apple has an executive relations department (who answers emails sent to tcook@apple.com that can be useful if normal customer support channels fail. I would look into sending a nicely worded email in your situation, including what resolution you think is reasonable (device swap for new unit.)
[doublepost=1522017716][/doublepost]What's the contact email or phone of Apple's executive support?

I reas your thread but didn't quite understand what happened? They refunded you or it is still at Apple for repair?

Regards,

I exhausted apple's support process including the "executive support". After that it became legal. Eventually Apple lost the case. See my thread.

I recommend not listening to people who might put you off standing up for your rights.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Sounds like quite the ordeal. For the life of me, I can't figure out why the screen would make popping sounds. There's not much for hardware in the screen portion of the MBP that would be affected by the load and have significant swings in temperature. Weird.

The computer hasn't not a single scratch or dent, never took out of my room unless to take to Apple for repair

Just curious, have you really only tried to use this machine in your room and nowhere else? Does it do this on battery power and while plugged in? I ask because sometimes the power quality going into the machine can be an issue. You could have bad wiring in your room or your entire home, or it could just be a bad outlet or breaker. It's a long shot, but I've had light fixtures in my home blow through bulbs in a matter of days, even LED bulbs designed to last decades. Replaced the fixtures, the problems went away. Our home (rental) was built in 2006, so your house doesn't have to be old to have such a problem. Might be worth your trouble to get it checked out before you try another new machine.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I’ve heard of this before and there have been two fixes that I am aware of:

1) replacement of the display assembly

2) replacement of the top case.

Why you’re experiencing is the expansion/contraction of the chassis/hinge area of the machine.

If you hear it when moving the display while the computer is warm, close the lid after using it for about an hour or so. When you grab the machine at the back by the display hinge, it’ll pop again as it has cooled off.

It is certainly something that can be corrected under warranty. That said, Apple seems to be over the “give me a replacement”. They are going to do what they are obligated to, which is repair it under warranty. Apple isn’t (at least in the US, that I’m aware of) under any contract or agreement to give you a new machine.

mallende

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2018
Hello!

The sound was reproduced on store and heard by the technician without being wired anywhere.

The sound was also heard when I opened the lid in front of another attendant without being plugged at all.

The first issue with the screen was clearly on the body. I could press the very bottom in the center of the screen and it would clack. Like a physical expansion.

The second issue was clearly internal. Everytime I woke up the screen from sleep I got the pop comming from the bottom left of the screen, as well as cracking sounds when moving the screen or open the lid. All the situations you suggested, I've tried.

They now told me it is a defective antena and fans.

Regards,

Sounds like quite the ordeal. For the life of me, I can't figure out why the screen would make popping sounds. There's not much for hardware in the screen portion of the MBP that would be affected by the load and have significant swings in temperature. Weird.

Just curious, have you really only tried to use this machine in your room and nowhere else? Does it do this on battery power and while plugged in? I ask because sometimes the power quality going into the machine can be an issue. You could have bad wiring in your room or your entire home, or it could just be a bad outlet or breaker. It's a long shot, but I've had light fixtures in my home blow through bulbs in a matter of days, even LED bulbs designed to last decades. Replaced the fixtures, the problems went away. Our home (rental) was built in 2006, so your house doesn't have to be old to have such a problem. Might be worth your trouble to get it checked out before you try another new machine.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Hello!

The sound was reproduced on store and heard by the technician without being wired anywhere.

The sound was also heard when I opened the lid in front of another attendant without being plugged at all.

The first issue with the screen was clearly on the body. I could press the very bottom in the center of the screen and it would clack. Like a physical expansion.

The second issue was clearly internal. Everytime I woke up the screen from sleep I got the pop comming from the bottom left of the screen, as well as cracking sounds when moving the screen or open the lid. All the situations you suggested, I've tried.

They now told me it is a defective antena and fans.

Regards,

I hate to say this friend, but be prepared to be disappointed. A fan and antenna aren’t going to fix your issues. Sorry about that. :(

mallende

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2018
Hi,

I just called Apple in Cupertino now and talked with directly with the staff.
They opened a case and told me that replacement is only a option after they attest it's not possible to fix it. So, they could keep my computer for months and keep damaging me.

Small court?

Regards,

I’ve heard of this before and there have been two fixes that I am aware of:

1) replacement of the display assembly

2) replacement of the top case.

Why you’re experiencing is the expansion/contraction of the chassis/hinge area of the machine.

If you hear it when moving the display while the computer is warm, close the lid after using it for about an hour or so. When you grab the machine at the back by the display hinge, it’ll pop again as it has cooled off.

It is certainly something that can be corrected under warranty. That said, Apple seems to be over the “give me a replacement”. They are going to do what they are obligated to, which is repair it under warranty. Apple isn’t (at least in the US, that I’m aware of) under any contract or agreement to give you a new machine.
[doublepost=1522026419][/doublepost]Hello,

I'm pretty sure it won't and that's why I'm already looking for legal ways to solve right way when I receive back my computer.

Regards,

I hate to say this friend, but be prepared to be disappointed. A fan and antenna aren’t going to fix your issues. Sorry about that. :(

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Hi,

I just called Apple in Cupertino now and talked with directly with the staff.
They opened a case and told me that replacement is only a option after they attest it's not possible to fix it. So, they could kee my computer for months and keep damaging me.

Small court?

Regards,

I am going to keep crushing your hopes and dreams with his. I am so sorry.

When I had a 2016, I had problem after problem with it. The Apple suggestion when engineering wanted to capture my machine (think within a week of release), was for me to buy a new machine and they would “allow” me to return it outside of the 14-30 day window when mine was returned to me. I calmly told them that was unacceptable, that I ran a business with my machine and didn’t want to throw more money at the problem.

They agreed to refund my entire purchase (which included a ultrafine 4K display). A week later the 2017 was released and I bought one of those. I haven’t had a problem since.

mallende

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2018
Hi,

I'm very happy that you don't have problems with yours bro. Nobody deserves this kind of headache for such expensive price. It just terrible.

Seems like I'm not having the same luck with replacements or refunds. But definitely won't give up.

Regards,

I am going to keep crushing your hopes and dreams with his. I am so sorry.

When I had a 2016, I had problem after problem with it. The Apple suggestion when engineering wanted to capture my machine (think within a week of release), was for me to buy a new machine and they would “allow” me to return it outside of the 14-30 day window when mine was returned to me. I calmly told them that was unacceptable, that I ran a business with my machine and didn’t want to throw more money at the problem.

They agreed to refund my entire purchase (which included a ultrafine 4K display). A week later the 2017 was released and I bought one of those. I haven’t had a problem since.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Hi,

I'm very happy that you don't have problems with yours bro. Nobody deserves this kind of headache for such expensive price. It just terrible.

Seems like I'm not having the same luck with replacements or refunds. But definitely won't give up.

Regards,

Indeed. Keep us updated on what happens. I would be absolutely floored if the fan and antenna fixed your issue. My guess is that they will send it back, it will fail again, and Apple will then replace your machine.

mallende

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2018
Updating my case:

I went to Apple on 29 March to have my computer back from the third repair.

I was told by the manager that according to the technicians, the popping sounds and cracking sounds moving the screen were an 'expected behavior'.

When they brought my computer, before I even open the lid, I notice a big dent, damage on the top of the computer. I was already on a call with a senior apple care advisor whileI was waiting the computer.

I was narrating to them what was going on in real time even before the manager come with the computer.

Then she saw the damage, waited while I was talking with the advisor and minutes later came with a new unit, without many complaints or arguments. The reason was that the computer was "damaged durain repair".

They gave me a new receipt and full warranty.

But even then, it is not a guarantee that is not going's to happen again.

I really don't know what would happen if I had taken the computer back home and noticed the damage later. Probably the warranty would have gotten avoided and I would have to keep a defective product or pay them to repair. That's terrible.

I'll keep the track of the new unit in this forum for sure.

They need to do a recall for this.

I bought my MPB 15-in Space Gray (2017) in September 2017. In the first month, the computer started to make really loud popping sounds, like mini-explosions. First I thought it was coming from the speakers, but after I pay a little bit more of attention I noticed it was coming from the screen.

Every time the computer got a little heated, like watching a video on youtube or working on photoshop, and more constantly when the computer had to do heavier process work, like exporting raw pictures from lightroom. It was really loud, and sometimes bit of compelling, like in class room for example. It was noticeable that there was something wrong.

I took to Apple Genius Bar and they took my computer to Memphis, TN. There, as documented by them, they changed my entire display piece. The process was surprisingly fast. I took there 8th march and got it back 12th.

However, in the same day with the computer, in the first few hours, I started to hear the popping sounds again. It was really lower sounds than before, but pretty noticeable in a silent work place or studying at home.

- when turning on the computer, or coming back from sleep, the computer makes a popping noise, apparently coming from the left site of the screen.

- exporting photos from Lightroom, the fans start to work and the computer makes a sequence of popping sounds. Kind of 7 or 8 in sequence. The same popping noise described in the previous topic.

- when the work is done and the fans stop working, the machine starts to cools down and makes many popping sounds in sequence again. Exactly same sound, coming from the left side of the screen.

- watching a video on youtube, less frequently, the MPB 2017 makes a few popping sounds.

- also, when moving the screen a little bit, adjusting the angle, it makes the same popping sound, but a little bit louder than the previous described.

- Found that touching some parts of the bottom part surface close to the screen, also produces the popping noise.

All these situations described wasn't happening before the first screen change. That what makes me think the problem is with the displays.

I went to Apple Store's Genius Bar today, 18th March, and told them everything I described here. The attendand could not hear the popping sound, and it's obvious because there was a huge crowd there. She took my computer to the back of the store and came back some minutes later. She told me she couldn't hear the sound but that the specialized technician told that there was reportedly an issue with the macbook screens. I ask "why?" and she told me that they don't know.

They took my computer again, telling me they would send to repair again, but that they could change the screen or not (!!), and even if they change, it could have the same problem (!!!!).

I answer her telling that I would keep taking my computer there until it is resolved and she didn't tell anything.

I don't know if it is related to the screen or maybe some malfunction on the computer itself, but I know that it is definely not ok for a $2800 computer.

They didn't offer me a new computer neither told me that the issue would be solved one way or another.

I need help on what to do in case of the don't solve the problem. I have yet 6 months of warranty and I dont want a defectived computer for such expensive price. It is definitely not acceptable.

Regards.
[doublepost=1522004707][/doublepost]The first issue, seemed to come from the top case of the screen itself. Kind of a physical expansion and contraction.

This second time the noise seems to be both physical and mechanical. Everytime I turn on the computer or screen from sleep, I get the same click noise.

Also when moving and open the lid, clack. Fortunately I recorded a video on Genius bar where I open the lid and the attendant confirms she hear the sound. In case if they come to me with the allegation that they didn't hear the sound.

Another thing that happened at Genius Bar was that by my side there was a guy with a problem on his macbook screen also. According to him, when he opened the screen the screw pop up and broke the bottom of the screen. I can't speak for him but the funny thing is the Apple technician told him a new screen would be $500, while for me the attendant gave the certain that there was a problem with the screens. So if I understand right, the guy was buying a defective screen in advance????

My computer was already received on repair (March 20th) and I keep waiting and being damaged by this company. I dont have my money, I dont have my computer, and I dont have even a guarantee that the manufacturer defects will be solved!!

Regards,
[doublepost=1522005020][/doublepost]So I went to Apple Store to have my computer back from the second repair on March 22.

They claimed they changed the screen again, but now, curiously, they said they found a problem on the built in audio as shown attached.

On the first receipt the symptom was different, and at that first time they did change the screen indeed (as I made sure to be able to identify). Attached.

made sure to be able to identify if they had changed the screen this time or not and they didn't. In the first time they did. So they're lying on the receipt. (!!) This is a clearly proof that they don't know how to solve the problem.

Took my computer back home to test it since it was impossible on Apple Store and Boom! Exactly the same problems described after the first repair. Another proof that they had not change the screen.

Took my computer right way back to Apple Store telling then I wouldn't accept because it was not fixed. There, an attendant took my computer to the back office to check if he could hear the sound. (I lost the count of how many time the attendants did that. By this time maybe all of them already been through my case).

Then I told him I had videos of the problem and that I wanted to talk to the manager because I wouldn't accept this.

He went back and after a long wait he came with 2 technicians. I had to repeat for the 10th time all the situations I had. They took (again) my computer to the back office, and now came back telling me they had heard the popping sounds. One of them checked on his iPad some information and confirmed that is something that is happening to Macbook computers.

He said me it could be a glue heating and they probably could not much to solve this (!!!!). So he told me he would took again to repair, this time in store, to change the screen again, and would call me in 24-48h.

They just didn't. I had to call and after being very poorly attended, had to go myself there to have an answer on what was happenning.

This time the manager came and asked me basically "why I was there" (!!!). Seems like they do everything so you feel bad to be going after the warranty and your consumer rights.

I explained (again) all the situations. I told her I was being damaged, lost MBA homework assigments, jobs tasks interviews, jobs from my company, and that I could not wait anymore for a third or fourth repair, that I wanted a new macbook exaclty the same as mine working properly. She told me it was not an option (!!!).

Also she told me the technicians hadn't had the chance to work on my computer but that they would so between yesterday night (March 24th) and today (March 25th), commiting to call me between 11-11:30am today.

I had to leave the store without any solution and without my $3000 computer (!!!!!).

She called 20 minutes ago telling me that after testing isolating the computer parts (!!!) they found a problem in both fans and in the antena, that were not working properly.

They told me they ordered the parts for this third repair and they may have the computer fixed on March 30th (!!!!).

I'm getting close to 1 month without my computer soon. I have this computer for 6 months on March 27th and I haven't had peace since I bought it.

I checked on US laws and found that if the product has a manufacturing defect, after a reasonable repair times, they MUST give me a new unit. But they keep telling me on Apple that is not an option.

It's clear they don't know what the issue is and that it may come back with the same problem, if not with more problems, since they has opened my entire new computer for the third time now.

The computer hasn't not a single scratch or dent, never took out of my room unless to take to Apple for repair, and always used the Tech21 case bought on Apple Store as well (the mlst expensive option for macbook cases they offer).

I got the number of the Apple consumer center from the manager and I will call tomorrow.

[doublepost=1522008135][/doublepost]Apple just deleted my update in their forum for the 3rd time.

Reactions: bartvk

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Updating my case:

I was told by the manager that according to the technicians, the popping sounds and cracking sounds moving the screen were an 'expected behavior'.

When they brought my computer, before I even open the lid, I notice a big dent, damage on the top of the computer. I was already on a call with a senior apple care advisor whileI was waiting the computer.

I was narrating to them what was going on in real time even before the manager come with the computer.

Then she saw the damage, waited while I was talking with the advisor and minutes later came with a new unit, without many complaints or arguments. The reason was that the computer was "damaged durain repair".

I really don't know what would happen if I had taken the computer back home and noticed the damage later. Probably the warranty would have gotten avoided and I would have to keep a defective product or pay them to repair. That's terrible.

What would guarantee it not happening again?
So almost from the onset you wanted a new machine.
Now that you have it you almost sound disappointed the drama is over.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Mallende,
Purchased my 2017 MBP 15'' last May(?)....started making a single popping sound about 3 months ago....seems to occur after has been in use ~ 2-3hr. Sometimes not audible if tv or other background noise is prevalent but I've heard it all the same. I'd say I get it about once every 10-14 days but only once per use. Assume sometimes it occurs when I'm away form the machine.I'll ignore for now (had to return original purchase due to discoloration of screen ) as I don't want to 'create /receive' new issues. I DO Understand your disappointment at having a several thousand dollar buy have quality issues. For others reading this ....the issue is REAL. So far I am 'lucky' in that mine is rather sporadic. Also , have AppleCare Plus so if the problem advances I will also fight for resolution as hard as you have been. Good luck.....

mallende

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2018
Funny how you want to manipulate the situation.
Apple itself said it may occurring again.
Period.

What would guarantee it not happening again?
So almost from the onset you wanted a new machine.
Now that you have it you almost sound disappointed the drama is over.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Funny how you want to manipulate the situation.
Apple itself said it may occurring again.
Period.
Manipulate, I like that.
Of course it can.
Apple, you probably me the person in a blue shirt not a suit, or any other retailer would more than likely refrain from speaking any definitive spoken guarantees.

Reactions: HenryDJP

Lacasse

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
Updating my case:

Lol...they purposely put in a dent so that they could accept the return and replace it to help you out. Thank the staff for doing that.

People forget that store employees...are just employees, working at some minimum wage, paying off student debt. No different than working at Walmart. They take direction from policy and procedure manuals. Have pity for them. The cool part is that they played by the rules and damaged it for you. Policy says ‘replace unit’. Done deal.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Lol...they purposely put in a dent so that they could accept the return and replace it to help you out. Thank the staff for doing that.

People forget that store employees...are just employees, working at some minimum wage, paying off student debt. No different than working at Walmart. They take direction from policy and procedure manuals. Have pity for them. The cool part is that they played by the rules and damaged it for you. Policy says ‘replace unit’. Done deal.

I am willing to bet this is exactly what took place. Yet some can't read between the lines.
They make more than min wage, regardless.
The vast majority of the folks I have dealt with at Apple stores have provided a great experience.
[doublepost=1522837043][/doublepost]
So let me get this straight. Apple replaced your machine like you asked, and you’re still complaining? o_O

Yes because something could happen to the new machine.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

Regards.

Regards,

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread. But I've been having the same problems with my 2012 MacBook Pro. It makes a loud popping noise when I'm watching youtube or just browsing the web. So it's safe to assume that I'm not the only one having this issue...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.