Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steffdl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
Hello,

Yesterday I wanted to charge my MB pro late 2015 and while connecting it gave off a spark.
But today when i charged it, everything was working fine. I used my mb for a couple of hours and then shut it off but now it won't charge up at al..

I cleaned the ports, reset pram etc..
The magsafe 2 doest light up too.

Any suggestions?

Also: my battery still has 50% left and the macbook starts up just fine, just no charging

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
So does it only run off the battery, or does plugging it in show that it's connected under the battery indicator? If it only runs of the battery, and you need any data from it, you should back up now while you still can.

I suppose restting the SMC is included in etc?

Can you try a different charger, and try your charger on a different machine?

If you're near an Apple Store they can diagnose the problem for free.

Steffdl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
Pluging in the connector says nothing in the menu bar.

My charger works fine on my girlfriend's macbook and hers also doesn't work on mine.
Im thinking it's a hardware problem but it's still weird that it worked fine today.

So does it only run off the battery, or does plugging it in show that it's connected under the battery indicator? If it only runs of the battery, and you need any data from it, you should back up now while you still can.

I suppose restting the SMC is included in etc?

Can you try a different charger, and try your charger on a different machine?

If you're near an Apple Store they can diagnose the problem for free.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
It is strange that there was a delay, but it does seem to be a hardware problem with the port or the electronics behind it. If you've already done the SMC reset, probably the easiest thing is to set up an appointment at the Apple Store. They may run off the the rest of the battery life testing it, though. (If you don't know if you want them to fix it because it isn't under warranty anymore, you could look for a cheaper repair place, but it's riskier.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.