Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamesbp21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
Hi Guys,

New to this forum as I've been looking around for days for a solution for my MacBook pro 17inch mid 2009.

It has come into my possession from a friend who cleared it completely before handing it over.
It was running mavericks which I understand is my main issue as I have tried to reinstall from app store but is now temporarily unavailable.
I have tried installing leopard via disc but the Mac rejects the disc after several seconds.
I have a time machine backup hardrive with official osx on it, possible too new for the mac? but all it says is this is not available on another Mac (due to it being installed from another Mac I guess)
I've updated the time in the terminal etc.
Is there anyway at all of getting into it with a new osx or is it a lost cause?
I would really appreciate any helpful input.
Manu thanks James

Jamesbp21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
Hi, Thanks for that, am I then transferring that file (El Capitan) to an external HD/usb disk? I downloaded it on my working MAC.
Thanks again James

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I think that if you open the InstallMacOSX.dmg image file that you downloaded on the second Mac, there's an app installer inside that. Run that installer and it should place "Install OS X El Capitan" into the Applications folder. To create the bootable USB installer for your Mac follow the directions on the page below. And yes, you may have to change the date in Terminal once you've booted from the installer…from what I've read somewhere Apple is having some weirdness with their servers regarding installs and certificate validations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.