Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caimentj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2021
Hi, I recently got a Retina 15" mid-2012 MacBook, it came with 6 keys on the keyboard not working. Up until I replaced the keyboard, it's been great - I loaded it with Big Sur and even though it's not officially supported, it ran great. Whilst I had a 4 hour fight to fit the keyboard, it went in and backlight. I do have a problem in that I tore the ribbon cable on the trackpad, but I do have another one on the way.

The keyboard is detected during bootup (as I can press alt and get the different boot drives and cmd+r for recovery), however, when in the OS, the keyboard doesn't seem to work or be detected whatsoever, I'm having to use a Bluetooth one.

Additionally, I now have really bad performance issues. It takes about 10 minutes to load the full bar, when it used to take seconds before the repair, when big sur loads, it initially loads at the wrong resolution now and takes it a few attempts before it does get the correct resolution, generally it's laggy, using my mouse it takes a while and the fans seem to be set to a constant 5000 rpm, when I looked at pre-installed Macs Fan control, all the temperature sensors were working and between 30-50 degrees Celsius, at which it usually wouldn't peak over 3000rpm.

I've had someone suggest this is purely all because of the trackpad, and once that's replaced it'll be fine, but I feel like there's too many symptoms for this to be one ribbon cable - would anyone have an idea of what the problem could be?

I have done the basics, resetting the SMC and everything else that can be reset.

This is only my second MacBook after having a late 2008 unibody, and this one I really need for college, so hopefully there's nothing permanently wrong with it

Thank you

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.