Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John981

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
Hi everyone,

after a lot of consideration, I bought a new 15,4“ MacBook Pro yesterday. Then, earlier this morning, when I first saw it in the daylight, I realized there are a couple of fine scratches on the lid of the device.

Is this normal? It was bought as new and packaged like a new device as well. There‘s no indication of it ever having been unboxed before. I‘m now considering to send it back, because my tolerance for build errors on a 2000€+ machine is absolutely zero.

Have any of you had the same problems?

I‘ll attach images of the scratches.

Attachments

• 7973270B-18C4-4A9C-84E4-CD7B8D7F888B.jpeg
    7973270B-18C4-4A9C-84E4-CD7B8D7F888B.jpeg
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 391
  • 4D4F1638-5DDD-4E2F-BD21-75FC81434A81.jpeg
    4D4F1638-5DDD-4E2F-BD21-75FC81434A81.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 342

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Of course it's not normal, however things like this do occasionally happen sadly. Thankfully Apple have a no-fuss returns policy, so if you're unhappy, give them a call and organise a replacement.

Reactions: green86

John981

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
Of course it's not normal, however things like this do occasionally happen sadly. Thankfully Apple have a no-fuss returns policy, so if you're unhappy, give them a call and organise a replacement.

Thanks for your advice. I‘ve bought this one from a certified Apple Reseller though, so should I approach them or Apple directly?

My problem is that it‘s a 2016 model (bought it discounted), and as far as I‘m aware Apple doesn‘t officially sell these anymore. Do they still offer replacement units or will I have to get a refund?

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Then you'll have to contact the place where you brought it from.

I have no idea what they'll do, I'd imagine they'd offer a replacement if they have it available, if not a refund. But really depends on where you buy the thing from not who made it in terms of immediate support.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
This doesn't prove everything, but was the box shrink-wrapped?

Also, if you go to About this Mac > System Information > Power, what is the cycle count on the battery? If it's new, it should probably be 1 or something very, very low.

I wonder if you have received a returned computer?

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
If it's a returned computer and you brought it listed as 'New' then it's a pretty simple case of false advertising and very easy to return it.

I've seen this pattern on the case a few times however, I think it's possibly something to do with the factory machine adding the Apple logo onto the back occasionally catching the case and scratching it. As I said these things do happen and in a factory where thousands of units are going through every day, one or two can leave with these problems.

Nothing to worry about, just take it back to where you brought it and sort a replacement/refund out.

Playfoot

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
Hi everyone,

after a lot of consideration, I bought a new 15,4“ MacBook Pro yesterday. Then, earlier this morning, when I first saw it in the daylight, I realized there are a couple of fine scratches on the lid of the device.

Is this normal? It was bought as new and packaged like a new device as well. There‘s no indication of it ever having been unboxed before. I‘m now considering to send it back, because my tolerance for build errors on a 2000€+ machine is absolutely zero.

Have any of you had the same problems?

I‘ll attach images of the scratches.

While I would not say it is normal, I would have to say with the late 2016, and from what you show, the 2017, models it an occurrence. All our 2016 MBP's had something ranging from fingerprints on the screen to small scratches/nicks. However, given when we purchased, just before Christmas, all machines had to be issued. So the decision was made that cosmetic issues that would likely be joined by more scuffs were not an issues.

However, we all commented that this was a first for Apple in our experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.