Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
This is my situation. I have a 2010 MBP 15" with 4 GB RAM. I suffer frequent slow downs of my system.

When I checked my page out there are 460k page outs for 2.3million page ins. Upon installing FreeMemory and checking out my RAM it seems that at bootup i get a maximum of 1.8gb ram.

Is this normal or is my system using too much RAM? How much free ram do you usually get upon boot.

Last edited:

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
What OS are you using? What apps are launching on startup? What kind of slowdowns are you getting?

I am using Lion, 10.7.3.

Apps launched on startup:
  • Calendar
  • Chrome Browser
  • iTunes
  • Finder
  • Caffiene
  • gfxCardSwitcher
  • smcFanControl
  • Google Drive
  • FreeMemory

o Stops responding for a few seconds while changing tabs or windows.
o Occasional beachball when mouse is on topmost system nav bar.

During the first few months of using this mac my pageouts were 0 unless I had fired up VMWare Fusion. Now the pageouts are higher than than what I get when using VMWare fusion.

Last edited:

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
Upgrade the RAM to 8GB. It's relatively inexpensive and should solve your problems.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
First, get of rid of "FreeMemory"; that doesn't do anything, except force page outs and causes your computer to be closer than it needs to be when managing it's own RAM.

Next, upgrade to 8GB of RAM; a very cheap upgrade these days.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
When I checked my page out there are 460k page outs for 2.3million page ins. Upon installing FreeMemory and checking out my RAM it seems that at bootup i get a maximum of 1.8gb ram.
You don't need FreeMemory, and I recommend you uninstall it. Free memory is only part of the picture. Inactive memory is also available to apps that need it.

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

There is no meaningful correlation between page outs and page ins. You will always have page ins, but you may not ever have page outs. Also, you can run for weeks or months, accumulating page ins, then go through a period of intense activity for only a few minutes which produces page outs. No ratio between the two is useful. The only thing that indicates a need for more RAM is the presence of significant page outs during normal workload, regardless of the page ins.

For slow performance issues: Performance Tips For Mac OS X

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Upgrade the RAM to 8GB. It's relatively inexpensive and should solve your problems.

First, get of rid of "FreeMemory"; that doesn't do anything, except force page outs and causes your computer to be closer than it needs to be when managing it's own RAM.

Next, upgrade to 8GB of RAM; a very cheap upgrade these days.

I was suffering the same thing and went from 4 gig to 8 gig and WOW...what a difference. I did it myself and it took about 5 minutes.

You don't need FreeMemory, and I recommend you uninstall it. Free memory is only part of the picture. Inactive memory is also available to apps that need it.

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

There is no meaningful correlation between page outs and page ins. You will always have page ins, but you may not ever have page outs. Also, you can run for weeks or months, accumulating page ins, then go through a period of intense activity for only a few minutes which produces page outs. No ratio between the two is useful. The only thing that indicates a need for more RAM is the presence of significant page outs during normal workload, regardless of the page ins.

For slow performance issues: Performance Tips For Mac OS X

Thanks for all the info, definitely moving to 8gig now - got 1 gb of page outs with 8 hours of work today.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Thanks for all the info, definitely moving to 8gig now - got 1 gb of page outs with 8 hours of work today.

That's not too bad actually- I get 2gb or so running my normal load. Sometimes 3..

A few things you can try to reduce the current ram used -

Do a pram reset, this will clear outbsome of the files in the ram. Make sure you have everything open saved!

Uncheck reopen windows at startup if you are in lion (it will ask when you shutdown). This just adds work to the CPU at startup and adds files to the ram at the start of the day also.. do make sure to save files!!

Might not help a ton, but it should help a bit :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well, he's half right, as he'll have to reboot to clear PRAM, and then the ram will be clear :)
Well, as you know, the rebooting clears the RAM contents, even if you don't reset NVRAM. And the statement that resetting PRAM "will clear outbsome of the files in the ram" is erroneous, since RAM contents are not in the form of complete files, and you can't clear part of RAM without clearing it all.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Well, as you know, the rebooting clears the RAM contents, even if you don't reset NVRAM. And the statement that resetting PRAM "will clear outbsome of the files in the ram" is erroneous, since RAM contents are not in the form of complete files, and you can't clear part of RAM without clearing it all.

Well, it would clear out all of the RAM, and then at startup it would be filled again. So, technically speaking only some of the files as, basically, the RAM is never empty except for after a shutdown.
And my typo... thats what I get for commenting from a phone :)

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011

Dude, you're taking me too seriously :)

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I went ahead and installed 8GB of Transcend RAM.

The system is definitely faster, no beach balls, and I can even switch smoothly between apps (Mail, Chrome, iCal) when there's a big game like civ5 running in the bg.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-09 at 4.59.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-09 at 4.59.55 PM.png
    273.3 KB · Views: 97
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.