Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AstralShane5000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
This may be a dumb question, but, it's possible to connect the rMBP to a HDTV and output the video to the HDTV, like any other computers that have HDMI. Am I correct?

Thanks,
Shane.

Last edited:

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
This may be a dumb question, but, it's possible to connect the rMBP to a HDTV and output the video to the HDTV, like any other computers that have HDMI. Am I correct?

Thanks,
Shane.

Here's another dumb question. Does this mean we will be able to record a TV show onto our computers, and theoretically even email the program thru one of the Large files services like send it or the many others?

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Here's another dumb question. Does this mean we will be able to record a TV show onto our computers, and theoretically even email the program thru one of the Large files services like send it or the many others?

Going to have to find a program that will do that. And the rMBP has a HDMI port on it all you need is a HDMI cord.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57526348-285/how-to-record-live-tv-on-your-computer/

If you want to record TV shows get a hulu plus account and screen record them????

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada

No, the HDMI port on the rMBP is only an output, not an input.
If you want to to record an input using it, you'd have to buy a dedicated recording device like a Blackmagic Intensity ($199) or Elgato Game Capture HD ($189).

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007

Absolutely not. It's an output port on the computer, and an input port on the TV.

TV tuners for computers are fairly cheap, but TV programs recorded off air eat up a lot of space - anywhere from 7 to 18 GB per hour. They can, however, be compressed to considerably smaller.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
Absolutely not. It's an output port on the computer, and an input port on the TV.

TV tuners for computers are fairly cheap, but TV programs recorded off air eat up a lot of space - anywhere from 7 to 18 GB per hour. They can, however, be compressed to considerably smaller.

Thanks to all of you. Explains a lot. I had a feeling it was output only. But what you guys are saying is its actually possible if I buy software that does that. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to record something im watching to send to somebody. I'm well aware how much space it would eat up, but after sharing I would dump it. If it was for my personal use I would just DVR it;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.