Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonny Quinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
Hi guys I have a MacBook Pro Retina 15" Late 2013 (I think) .. one day whilst connecting the Magsafe 2 Charger there was a little bit of static spark around the port and from that point on it wouldn't detect the charger, i.e no lights at all on the charger. I bought a new charger and verified it works on a friend's machine. So I then replaced the Magsafe 2 Charge Port, still nothing. Any ideas what to look at next ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jonny Quinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2020

jjbond

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2021
I'd check ifixit.com to see about replacing the "DC in board":
(note -- this says "early 2013" -- just to be aware):
If you do order a DC magsafe from iFixit, you may end up worse off. I just did a top case and battery swap on my early 2013 MBP. While in I figured I'd update the wi-fi board to 802.11AC and replace the magsafe board as preventative it was looking pretty chewed up. I ordered NEW, paid for NEW... held off on my repair for 2 weeks for it to arrive, it was in a sealed static bag and was obviously used. I contacted them, they said they don't have any new in stock so shipped what they had (keep in mind they never asked if this was acceptable or reduce the amount I paid to the price for used. I said no, I wanted new, I will wait for them to come in. A MONTH LATER, it's shipped, arrives sealed in anti static and it's... you guessed it.. USED!!!!! Not even a simple we're sorry etc... ship them both back to us and we'll give you your money back. A month and a half dicking around and ended up ordering one on Amazon for $12.00, about $20.00 less than I was paying iFixit, they'll never see a penny of my money again, that was very unethical.

Jen

Attachments

• IMG_1772.jpeg
    IMG_1772.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 2022-04-21_18-04-39.jpg
    2022-04-21_18-04-39.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: Fishrrman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.