Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

graham86

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Has anyone managed to have the rubber feet on a Retina MacBook Pro replaced under Apple Care?

The Genius Bar is quoting me £100 + VAT as they need to replace the whole bottom panel due to the way the feet are attached.

Most of it's time it's sitting on a Twelve South HiRise so not like it's feet are under much stress.

ocgirl

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
France
I think this would be seen as component wear (unless your laptop is brand spanking new).
I found on amazon a set of 4 rubber feet for like 10 bucks when i decided to sell my old 2011 mpb. Didn't see a difference wit the "real ones"...

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
So, just for contrast, we've at least once had Apple spontaneously replace feet on a laptop that was in for something else.

I have no idea at all what the official answer is, or whether there even is one. I would certainly expect them to be covered, though.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
My wife's old 2010 13" MBP lost all if it's feet over time. I'd pop open the case and put them back. Just gave up after a while. My old 2012 13" MBA never had that issue. Not sure why it happens.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Has anyone managed to have the rubber feet on a Retina MacBook Pro replaced under Apple Care?

The Genius Bar is quoting me £100 + VAT as they need to replace the whole bottom panel due to the way the feet are attached.

Most of it's time it's sitting on a Twelve South HiRise so not like it's feet are under much stress.

I had my 2012 bottom panel replaced under AppleCare. The tech did state that it's not covered, but did it as a courtesy. He made a big deal about the replacement panel not having my MBP's serial number on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.