Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THEYCALLMESID

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Dehradun
Hi!

I am using a MacBook Pro "13 Mid2012

I have started having this issue where my screen starts flickering. It usually goes black after the flickering escalates in a while.

I saw the first signs of this a couple of weeks ago when my screen did this for about 2-3 days. However, when I went to a local repair shop (not Apple Store) , the problem just didn't appear! So I thought it fixed itself somehow and moved on with my life.

However it has started to show signs again today.

I have tried resetting the PRAM (Cmd+Option +P+R) .
I think it is some sort of hardware problem.
I am attaching a video.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

-Sid

Andy2k

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2015
Hi!

I am using a MacBook Pro "13 Mid2012

I have started having this issue where my screen starts flickering. It usually goes black after the flickering escalates in a while.

I saw the first signs of this a couple of weeks ago when my screen did this for about 2-3 days. However, when I went to a local repair shop (not Apple Store) , the problem just didn't appear! So I thought it fixed itself somehow and moved on with my life.

However it has started to show signs again today.

I have tried resetting the PRAM (Cmd+Option +P+R) .
I think it is some sort of hardware problem.
I am attaching a video.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

-Sid

I know that vintage of 15" and 17" MBP have problems with the built in video cards. Where the screen flickers, etc. The link posted below from Apple addresses the issue and has a a link to check if your model could be affected. Apple will repair this defect for free. You can download a program called GPUtest for Mac by 3Dgeeks. It will really tax your GPU and heat it up (and probably expose the GPU problem in the process)

http://www.geeks3d.com/20131028/gpu...ark-for-windows-mac-os-x-and-linux-downloads/

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.