Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ferdi2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2018
Hi, I've got a Macbook Pro 2019 16'' and I use Google Meet with Safari on a daily basis. With Big Sur 11.0.1 (the final release distributed to users), only on Google Meet and only on Safari speakers intermittently crackle, but if I use Google Meet on Google Chrome I don't get any problem.
Do you have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

syzzex

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Manhattan, NY
Hi, I've got a Macbook Pro 2019 and I use Google Meet with Safari on a daily basis. With Big Sur 11.0.1 (the final release distributed to users), only on Google Meet and only on Safari speakers intermittently crackle, but if I use Google Meet on Google Chrome I don't get any problem.
I’m experiencing the same issue, I’ve switched to Chrome for the meet and kept using safari for my work.

Mateocb15

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Hi, I've got a Macbook Pro 2019 16'' and I use Google Meet with Safari on a daily basis. With Big Sur 11.0.1 (the final release distributed to users), only on Google Meet and only on Safari speakers intermittently crackle, but if I use Google Meet on Google Chrome I don't get any problem.
I have the same problem and when I contacted apple support they said it may be a hardware issue but it is so specific that I don't think this is about hardware. Hopefully the next update fixes this or google just fixes it on meet.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
It's definitely software. Experienced the same.
I actually find "stable" Safari considerably more buggy than the latest preview version of it.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
This happens also on BigBlueButton! And also on iOS!!!
@SmOgER is this fixed in the beta?
Haven't tested GM yet but with latest stable release I had crackles in some other websites as well, with preview version those websites are totally fine and I did not encounter any other bugs thus far.

Karel3d

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2020
What worked for me is to install Safari Technology Preview.

https://developer.apple.com/safari/download/

Install the second one, it's for free. It solved the crackles. However as it is a separate browser, you will need to re-log in to everything. (I didn't want to use Chrome as it is slow.)

I think they will later solve it in the main Safari also.

syzzex

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Manhattan, NY
UPDATE: on Mac OS Big Sur 11.1, this issue is no longer present.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.