Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoidq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
Hey folks,

Due to the shenanigans a lot of us have experience with our MacBook Pro's getting stuck in Shanghai for days and eventually delaying delivery I'm currently stuck without a device to answer my own question.

Do you find that for personal use, i.e, sitting in front of the laptop the audio output can be engrossing enough that desktop speakers can be ditched and we can solely rely on ear/headphones and the MacBook Pro's build in 6 speakers? Specifically I'm curious about the 16" model, assuming there may be a difference. Obviously I'm not referring to professional audio equipment / monitors.

Thoughts?

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
FWIW - these work for me if I want to "step up" from the internal MBP speakers ( Which are very good for a Laptop) - they are blue tooth and wireless

I have 2 of them and in party mode (Stereo) they sound amazing and are mobile - so great for travel etc.

bose-micro-link.jpg

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
I find the speakers on my M1Pro to be simply astounding. I can speak for other people, but I have no need for a set of desktop speakers.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Probably can "replace" general purpose PC speakers, maybe sans the ones with dedicated subwoofer.
But for even the cheaper bookshelf speakers which aren't even expensive nowadays, the MBP's won't do it since physics is physics.

That said I am still amazed by how Apple created the sound stage within such a thin chassis, with tweeters firing upwards.

Jason32

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
The speakers on the 16” are outstanding. For the first time ever listening to music on laptop speakers is fun. Of course you have to be at a normal operational distance from the machine to experience it. Also this yr there is Dolby Atmos and boy you actually hear bullets flying around you when watching a movie on the Apple TV app. Also the spatial audio in music …just wow

zoidq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
Having finally taken delivery of my 16" mbp I'm finding the speakers to be awesome and think I can do without my cheap Logitech desktop speakers. Furthermore, I'm no audio guy however my audio technica m50x's sound better through the internal 3.5mm vs a focusrite interface so perhaps that's another device simplification that can be made, or maybe it's just lust!

I get the argument of physics when comparing bookshelf speakers, it's valid and makes sense.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
FWIW - these work for me if I want to "step up" from the internal MBP speakers ( Which are very good for a Laptop) - they are blue tooth and wireless

I have 2 of them and in party mode (Stereo) they sound amazing and are mobile - so great for travel etc.

View attachment 1885124

Ya messed up brah, shoulda got a pair of HomePod minis...! ;^p

zoidq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021

Do the HomePod mini's work with multiple iCloud accounts in a family setting, if not that could be a bit limiting.

Siri can recognize the voices of up to six different family members on HomePod mini — and create a personalized experience for each person. So the music Dad hears when he asks for something he’d like is totally different from what the kids hear when they ask. And with Personal Requests, Siri can recognize a particular voice and relay that person’s information from iPhone apps like Messages, Calendar, Reminders, and Contacts.6 And of course, HomePod mini keeps your information private and secure.

It's not clear if this can be connected to multiple iCloud accounts or how it works.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Do the HomePod mini's work with multiple iCloud accounts in a family setting, if not that could be a bit limiting.

It's not clear if this can be connected to multiple iCloud accounts or how it works.

I honestly don't know, I was just being jocular with the dude with two Bose BT speakers...!

Maybe hit up Apple Support for a (possibly ambiguous) answer, or get some and test it out, return within the 14 day window if it does not work as you want it to...?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Maybe the new HomePod update made the issues better but I tried using my two OG Homepods as computer speakers and it was terrible. Weird volume controls, constant static/popping issues, and couldn't set them as default outputs like you could on the AppleTV. Sold them and tried two Mini's, which sounded like tin cans, and I've given up on the HomePod lineup entirely as I would rather listen to AirPods.

Reactions: mikzn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
No I did not "Mess Up" the soundlinks are great, have good stereo separation and are wireless and very portable - great for road trips and hotel stays - even good for sales presentations - they fit in my computer bag so easy to bring along with the MBP

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
No I did not "Mess Up" the soundlinks are great, have good stereo separation and are wireless and very portable - great for road trips and hotel stays - even good for sales presentations - they fit in my computer bag so easy to bring along with the MBP

It was a joke...

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Up to now, I've certainly considered them an adequate substitute for standard PC speakers - though I generally listen on high-quality HiFi when I'm at home. I have absolutely no qualms just listening to the MacBook when I have to, the sound is impressive for such a small package.

However, I just stuck on Apple Music's 'New Music Mix' to see what they’ve picked out for me, and had my first, wtaf moment with the 16” MacBook Pro - it was Spacial Audio.

I've listened to some of the Dolby tracks on Apple Music with my headphones, and to be honest found it a bit, meh, it really didn’t wow me at all. For music I'm happier with good old stereo with headphones (and if I’m honest, HiFi as well).

But, when one of the tracks - Tiësto's The Motto, started playing it actually had me turning my head.....literally.

I couldn't believe how well the MBP actually projected a perceivable, realistic and rather enjoyable 3D sound stage. No longer did the music just sound as if it came out of my MacBook, as stereo does, now I was sitting in the music. The way the various elements were placed around my head was just incredible for a laptop. It was significantly more impressive than any of the Spacial Audio tracks I’d listed to on my AirPods Max.

Consider me a convert for Spacial Audio on the MacBook, now I have to go find more :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.