Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFly11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
Hi. I am looking to buy a Macbook pro 14 and I was wondering if there is a weight difference between 1Tb and 2Tb storage... (would the 2Tb feel heavier or is the difference negligible?)
I guess it depends on the SSD type. I tried to look it up but couldn't find the information...

MacFly11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
... is that even a question? 1 gram is too much?
Of course 1 gram would not be an issue. But that's exactly the question. A quick Google search shows that the weight of SSD can be 6-60 grams. 60 grams are 0.13 pound. The weight of the macbook pro 14 is 3.5 pound, so in that case it would be felt. For this reason I was trying to find out the type of SSD....

Feisar

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
Of course 1 gram would not be an issue. But that's exactly the question. A quick Google search shows that the weight of SSD can be 6-60 grams. 60 grams are 0.13 pound. The weight of the macbook pro 14 is 3.5 pound, so in that case it would be felt. For this reason I was trying to find out the type of SSD....

MBP storage uses NAND flash memory on logic board - going from 512 to 1TB or 2TB is negligible:

HRuPDcYiLuCRnoW2.huge.jpeg Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 10.37.31 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 10.41.09 AM.png

Reactions: MacFly11

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I presume you are talking about the new MBP 13", either the M1 or M2 version. Check out one of the several teardown vids on YouTube.

These MBPs don't use discrete SSDs with mechanical connectors and their own controller chips and cache memory chips. Instead they use one or two SSDs chips mounted directly on the motherboard and use the M1/2 chip controller and cache services. This means they don't have the same weight they would if they used discrete SSDs (e.g. M2 form factor NVMe or SATA SSDs, 2.5" SATA SSDs, ...). There would only be a trivial weight different between the 128Gb M2 models that use a single SSD chip and the other, larger configurations that use two chips.

Reactions: MacFly11

MacFly11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
I presume you are talking about the new MBP 13", either the M1 or M2 version. Check out one of the several teardown vids on YouTube.

These MBPs don't use discrete SSDs with mechanical connectors and their own controller chips and cache memory chips. Instead they use one or two SSDs chips mounted directly on the motherboard and use the M1/2 chip controller and cache services. This means they don't have the same weight they would if they used discrete SSDs (e.g. M2 form factor NVMe or SATA SSDs, 2.5" SATA SSDs, ...). There would only be a trivial weight different between the 128Gb M2 models that use a single SSD chip and the other, larger configurations that use two chips.
I see. Thank you! I was actually talking about the Macbook Pro 14, but I assume it is the same (for a difference between 1Tb and 2Tb storage).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.