Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinobear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
I updated a week before I left to travel. While I was on the road I noticed that charging my laptop overnight only took me to 79%. This was a setting that was turned on automatically when I upgraded to osx 15. What an anoying setting!! I thought the outlets I was plugging into were broken at first. And had to go a day or two only charging to 79% while not having access to power that often.

what is the point of only charging to 80% on an overnight charge. It's saving my battery by crippling my charge capacity? Might as well have an old broken battery already then.

turned the setting off and now im charging to 100%.

Reactions: twanj

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
what is the point of only charging to 80% on an overnight charge. It's saving my battery by crippling my charge capacity?
Optimized battery charging feature. It extends the life of your battery. If you keep it turned on, it will learn your charging habits. Keep battery at 80% (especially when plugged into power adapter for long time) until it "learns" when you need battery charged 100%. If you want battery fully charged at moment, click Battery icon in menu bar and select "Charge to Full".

Reactions: Fishrrman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.