Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinballWizard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the market, looking to upgrade my 13" MacBook Pro, 2015 for the latest equivalent - Touch Bar version.

However, as a product design enthusiast, I somehow find it difficult to come into reconciliation with the revelation that most of the speaker grills are fake? If so, this just broke one of product design's "Ten Commandments" so to say - Honesty.

Is it truly useless? Do the partially drilled holes help change the frequency of the sound in a way? Does covering the top half change the sound?

Apologies for being very OCD, but USD 1799 is a lot of cash heh.

What are your honest opinions? Thanks!

Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
there are not fake...still if you look at the speaker grills into the bright light you will see holes and you can still see in ifixit takedown
If im putting my hand over the grills the sound is muffed

pinballWizard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2018
there are not fake...still if you look at the speaker grills into the bright light you will see holes and you can still see in ifixit takedown
If im putting my hand over the grills the sound is muffed

Hmm, I see, even if you cover the top portions?

If so, then that's actually kinda genius since water and dust won't pour in while allowing the sound to resonate in a way.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Why would you even care? Those are some of the best sounding speakers in a laptop. Even if the holes were fake (I really don't know), it looks good and it sounds good, so there is absolutely no practical or otherwise reason to even think about it — especially if you are — as you say, a design enthusiast.

Last edited:

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Most of the holes are surely just there for appearance, but really, who cares? They look great and the speakers sound great, so I'd find something else to worry about.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the market, looking to upgrade my 13" MacBook Pro, 2015 for the latest equivalent - Touch Bar version.

However, as a product design enthusiast, I somehow find it difficult to come into reconciliation with the revelation that most of the speaker grills are fake? If so, this just broke one of product design's "Ten Commandments" so to say - Honesty.

Is it truly useless? Do the partially drilled holes help change the frequency of the sound in a way? Does covering the top half change the sound?

Apologies for being very OCD, but USD 1799 is a lot of cash heh.

What are your honest opinions? Thanks!
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/11/17/13665258/macbook-pro-speaker-grille-fake-teardown

My guess is they're used as a form of "bass reflex" design to give the macbook a little more oomph.

Reactions: pinballWizard

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018
The holes are there so when it gets really hot, they serve as a grill for mini steaks and chicken breasts. Best laptop EVER.

Reactions: Ploki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.