Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
Ok, so I was trying to remove a 10.6 partition that i kept on my computer in case i didn't like lion, now when i click the minus button on the 10.6 partition it leaves a free space partition that i can't get rid of or use for resizing the 10.7 partition. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can't resize a partition up, only down. The best option is to make a new partition in the top space, clone your system over to the top partition, delete the bottom partition and resize the top to fill the free space.

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
You can't resize a partition up, only down. The best option is to make a new partition in the top space, clone your system over to the top partition, delete the bottom partition and resize the top to fill the free space.

How would I go about doing that? Is it possible to do it without an external hard drive? I have one but it's a time machine for my iMac.

Edit: Nevermind ill just partition my time machine drive for now. the macbook pro is only filled up 89gb. but still, how would i go about cloning the drive?

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
Can i just use a time machine backup since I'm more familiar with it and I've used it to restore my old iMac to my new iMac too. Yeah, I'm stubborn, i know :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.