Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KristianSzabo19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2022
Hello.

I recently purchased a 2020 MacBook Pro 13 inch model, but it will not boot.
When I turn it on it only shows options, so I press continue and it brings me to Recovery mode where I can't continue, because I don't know the Apple ID/password. From what I saw on websites, at the start it should show hard drive and options, but it doesn't show hard drive.
I will be very thankful for all the help.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
How do you NOT know the Apple ID and password? That would be disk utility in Recovery where you can delete and edit partitions on the ssd. The problem is that in order to install MacOS you will still need the Apple ID and password tied to the hardware. Did you get the machine used?? If you bought it new then whatever the Apple ID and password you set when you first set up your Mac will unlock it.

You may have to go to a Apple store because the account is locked to the device and unless you have the information to unlock it you won't be able to. It is a security feature.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
If it won't boot, the system is broken and the machine will boot to recovery. You'll have to reinstall the OS, but you will need to know the AppleID and password. If you bought the machine used, you'll have to get the seller to cooperate to remove the machine from their account. If the seller isn't around, you've got an expensive paperweight on your hands.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Hello.

When I turn it on it only shows options, so I press continue and it brings me to Recovery mode where I can't continue, because I don't know the Apple ID/password. From what I saw on websites, at the start it should show hard drive and options, but it doesn't show hard drive.
do you have an iPhone or something else you can recover your password?

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
do you have an iPhone or something else you can recover your password?
The Apple ID isn’t theirs. Either the seller forgot to remove it, or the seller pawned off a stolen MacBook. Either way, an Apple Store won’t be able to help with this either.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
The Apple ID isn’t theirs. Either the seller forgot to remove it, or the seller pawned off a stolen MacBook. Either way, an Apple Store won’t be able to help with this either.
i don't know why i fall for these posts
my perspective is "it'a a computer......"
i guess that is why  purchased the world years ago

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
As other above have said. We will need to know how this MacBook was purchased.

If it was purchased used, I would suggest highly reaching out to the seller to request a refund. there's a 50/50 chance the seller will play nice and provide the Apple ID and password to unlock or ignore you completely.

if it was purchased new, the Apple ID should be what you inputted during initial set-up.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Hello.

Go to a Apple store so they can DFU restore the M1 2020 13" MBP so that it boots normally. They will need some proof you are a legit owner.

0_1

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2021
>I don't know the Apple ID/password.

Why do you not have this information or not be able to contact the seller to get it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.