Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
Hey guys,
so Ì planed to buy a macbook pro for uni but Im not sure if I should get the base modell Or if I should upgrade the RAM to 16GB. Im no going to use the macbook for video editing etc just for Word, netflix and normal surfing.

edit: I want to use it at least for 4 years

thank u very much in advance

Last edited:
Reactions: macsound1

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
Unless you have the habit of leaving gazillions of Chrome tabs open, 8GB is fine in your case.

Reactions: cdcastillo

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I've been living with 8 GB for 5 years now, doing what you describe plus virtual machines and specialized software.

Not once I've wished I had 16 Gb. Much more important is to have a big and fast SSD.

brianmowrey

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
If you’re buying new, always get the lowest even if you want to upgrade. The Apple Store upgrade costs $140 more than buying the 8 and getting a 16 from Amazon to pop into the logic board yourself.

You won’t need 16 for your listed uses, but by getting the 8 you can upgrade any time you change your mind.

If you’re not buying new, the logic still applies unless someone is offering to swap it up to 16 for less than $50.
oops!

Last edited:
Reactions: TL24

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
If you’re buying new, always get the lowest even if you want to upgrade. The Apple Store upgrade costs $140 more than buying the 8 and getting a 16 from Amazon to pop into the logic board yourself.

You won’t need 16 for your listed uses, but by getting the 8 you can upgrade any time you change your mind.

If you’re not buying new, the logic still applies unless someone is offering to swap it up to 16 for less than $50.

What are you talking about? MBPs have had their RAM soldered to the logic board since the first-generation Retina models back in 2012.

brianmowrey

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
What are you talking about? MBPs have had their RAM soldered to the logic board since the first-generation Retina models back in 2012.
I was just about to come delete my mistake! Sorry, I’m am pre-retina MBP user only brushing up on the modern age because my machine is under the weather so I had no idea how bad newer users have it :oops:

Cookie18

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
France
8GB is probably fine for you. However, if you wait until the Apple event next Tuesday you could have more options. Also, there are rumours that ARM Macs will start at 16GB of RAM. If it were me, whether I wanted an ARM Mac or not, I would wait to see if that’s the case. If 16GB becomes the new minimum then 8GB might age quickly and I’d go for 16GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.